Finally, solderless DC cables!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Play by Tone, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

2. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

That's cool, but they do not appear to be available yet. Website states " Pre-order yours today!!"

3. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yeah, seems to be par for the course nowadays. I can't imagine it'll be too long.

4. benevan

benevan Member

Very cool, but no Cioks option?

5. chrisross

chrisross Member

No thanks. Learn to solder...it's stupid simple and cheap.

6. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

To each his own. I can solder, and so can all the guitar techs who use solderless plugs on tour.

Tony @ Evidence makes a good argument how his particular solderless plug is better than a soldered connection.

If you have problems with solderless technology, maybe the answer should be, "Learn to make proper solderless terminations."

7. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Is there a link somewhere to why the Evidence system is better than soldered? I'm very curious because I'm more in the "solder it yourself" camp, but I'm always open to other view points.

I will say the solderless cables I've used have always been reliable, but I like the cost effectiveness of buying cable in bulk and soldering it myself.

8. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

9. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Do people actually solder their own DC cables? I've never seen a kit, nor the parts for that.

10. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I can solder quite well.......just don't know if I would trust myself on DC cables though.....

11. bleu

bleu Member

I did once several years ago, though I can't find the guy's shop online anymore.

Solderless is fine with me but $6.50 a plug is hard to countenance. I use Evidence SIS/Monorail and to me it really does seem more reliable than soldered but again, the price was a bitter pill to swallow. As far as DC power goes those sort of prices are a straight up dealbreaker for me, and I use Cioks anyway.

Abram4235 likes this.
  12. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

I thought that too. George L's at one point made solder less RCA plugs, if you can find them. Otherwise I think cusack sells a generic solder less alternative for his tap jacks on his pedals.

13. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

For me it's solution in search of a problem.

14. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

:)

100% agreement here. Soldering isn't hard and any soldiered cable will always be dependable and reliable for years. Plus, piece of mind knowing you have a solid connection. If you spend a lot on pedals and a board, why stop at solderless? Figure it out how to solder or have someone help you.

Dr.Lee and Dr. Jimmy like this.
  15. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Buy the parts in bulk and solder away. Wether it's for a Voodoo Lab Type PSU or Cioks PSU, it's just the same a soldering audio cables.

Steven likes this.
  16. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Thanks for that. I looked at that page before, but I somehow missed the full explanation haha.

Seems like a pretty clever system, but I'm not totally convinced that it's better than just soldering. It's pretty easy to make an airtight seal with soldered plugs, too. And soldering your own is still much cheaper. The Evidence probably sounds a little better than your average cable, but that shouldn't really matter in a properly assembled rig with good buffering.

17. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Now can someone please make solder less TRS cables??

eattheapple1979 likes this.
  18. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

As one who solders a lot of patch and power cables, it's a great idea. However, the cost isn't justified: proprietary cable (cannot use VL cable), I don't see a set screw or any method to secure the cable aside from friction, the 2.1mm connector is large, the connection looks like a "pin-in-srtand" (PIS) connection which in time will loosen the cable especially since there is no set screw or retainer.

willyboy, Steven, SG1 and 2 others like this.
  19. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

I do. You can buy the parts at just about any electronics supplier. My local mom and pop shops have them in stock, though I typically buy the barrel connectors online in bulk, and I use the 'zipcord' mogami mic cable. It's a fraction of the cost of the solderless shown above.

tonefreak likes this.
  20. guitartech

guitartech Member

We are still working on pricing, that's why for the pre-order it says if the price drops we will honor the lowest price. We are manufacturing these in the US, so unfortunately that drives our costs up, but we'd rather do it here rather than overseas and keep the quality up.

Greg Howard
    3 Monkeys