Finally, solderless DC cables!

Clark GriswoId

Supporting Member
That's cool, but they do not appear to be available yet. Website states " Pre-order yours today!!"

Play by Tone

To each his own. I can solder, and so can all the guitar techs who use solderless plugs on tour.

Tony @ Evidence makes a good argument how his particular solderless plug is better than a soldered connection.

If you have problems with solderless technology, maybe the answer should be, "Learn to make proper solderless terminations."

Chandyland

To each his own. I can solder, and so can all the guitar techs who use solderless plugs on tour.

Tony @ Evidence makes a good argument how his particular solderless plug is better than a soldered connection.

If you have problems with solderless technology, maybe the answer should be, "Learn to make proper solderless terminations."
Is there a link somewhere to why the Evidence system is better than soldered? I'm very curious because I'm more in the "solder it yourself" camp, but I'm always open to other view points.

I will say the solderless cables I've used have always been reliable, but I like the cost effectiveness of buying cable in bulk and soldering it myself.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Do people actually solder their own DC cables? I've never seen a kit, nor the parts for that.

bleu

Do people actually solder their own DC cables? I've never seen a kit, nor the parts for that.
I did once several years ago, though I can't find the guy's shop online anymore.

Solderless is fine with me but $6.50 a plug is hard to countenance. I use Evidence SIS/Monorail and to me it really does seem more reliable than soldered but again, the price was a bitter pill to swallow. As far as DC power goes those sort of prices are a straight up dealbreaker for me, and I use Cioks anyway.

Gibs210

Very cool, but no Cioks option?
I thought that too. George L's at one point made solder less RCA plugs, if you can find them. Otherwise I think cusack sells a generic solder less alternative for his tap jacks on his pedals.

tonefreak

No thanks. Learn to solder...it's stupid simple and cheap.
:)

100% agreement here. Soldering isn't hard and any soldiered cable will always be dependable and reliable for years. Plus, piece of mind knowing you have a solid connection. If you spend a lot on pedals and a board, why stop at solderless? Figure it out how to solder or have someone help you.

jnepo1

Silver Supporting Member
Buy the parts in bulk and solder away. Wether it's for a Voodoo Lab Type PSU or Cioks PSU, it's just the same a soldering audio cables.

Chandyland

I know it has to do with the oxygen free connection thats formed by screwing the softer copper into the brass tap.

edit: http://www.evidenceaudio.com/library/sis-assembly this page basically says that
Thanks for that. I looked at that page before, but I somehow missed the full explanation haha.

Seems like a pretty clever system, but I'm not totally convinced that it's better than just soldering. It's pretty easy to make an airtight seal with soldered plugs, too. And soldering your own is still much cheaper. The Evidence probably sounds a little better than your average cable, but that shouldn't really matter in a properly assembled rig with good buffering.

jnepo1

Silver Supporting Member
As one who solders a lot of patch and power cables, it's a great idea. However, the cost isn't justified: proprietary cable (cannot use VL cable), I don't see a set screw or any method to secure the cable aside from friction, the 2.1mm connector is large, the connection looks like a "pin-in-srtand" (PIS) connection which in time will loosen the cable especially since there is no set screw or retainer.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
I do. You can buy the parts at just about any electronics supplier. My local mom and pop shops have them in stock, though I typically buy the barrel connectors online in bulk, and I use the 'zipcord' mogami mic cable. It's a fraction of the cost of the solderless shown above.

guitartech

I did once several years ago, though I can't find the guy's shop online anymore.

Solderless is fine with me but $6.50 a plug is hard to countenance. I use Evidence SIS/Monorail and to me it really does seem more reliable than soldered but again, the price was a bitter pill to swallow. As far as DC power goes those sort of prices are a straight up dealbreaker for me, and I use Cioks anyway.
We are still working on pricing, that's why for the pre-order it says if the price drops we will honor the lowest price. We are manufacturing these in the US, so unfortunately that drives our costs up, but we'd rather do it here rather than overseas and keep the quality up.

Greg Howard
3 Monkeys

Trending Topics