Finally some Kemper news for NAMM 2019

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Ingolf, Jan 21, 2019.

1. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Like everyone else I welcome the Editor, but never felt I really needed one for the Kemper, find it super easy to use.

hendrix1406, benvigil and Jose7822 like this.
  2. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

Same.

Jose7822 and Lord N like this.
  3. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

I'm relieved to hear that others also find that LCD to be a challenge. Button labels are always "washed out" and have poor contrast regardless of adjustment. In high ambient lighting they're just about impossible for me to read. The weakest point of an otherwise wonderful device.

mbenigni likes this.
  4. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

I’m more of a Lamborghini guy, but I’ll check it out.

Just kidding, I appreciate the info. Thanks guys! :aok

mbenigni and Chris@TGP like this.
  5. Watt McCo

I don't feel like I need one, but I think it will be helpful for (1) making delay and reverb presets, and more importantly (2) organizing effects presets that I want to have archived for later use vs. ones I want to have on the unit itself. Part of what makes the Kemper SO much more user friendly than Helix to me is my ability to control/limit what rigs/presets are on the unit to just the ones I need/use and having dedicated hardware knobs/buttons for so many functions. So I'm not excited about the editor as a "replacement" of on-unit editing, just as a means of getting my profiler ready to be as easy to edit on-unit as possible.

Veritas0Aequitas likes this.
  6. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Of what year?

7. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

On powering an unpowered Kemper, and after a lot of experimentation, IMHO there is something a bit special about the ICEpower amp modules. The only digital amp I have used that did not have a bit of a false feel is an ICEPower module. This is after trying a ton of other external power amps of all types, digital to tube. An ICEpower module is the only one I can use and simply get lost in the tone.

Unfortunately it is difficult to add any of the ICEpower modules to an unpowered Kemper, especially the 600w one Kemper uses in the powered ones. An unpowered Kemper would need to be extensively modified (such as an entirely new back panel) to use the 600w module. I was able to fit a 170w ICEpower module in an unpowered Kemper, but it wasn't easy.

If someone is trying to fit a really good power amp to an unpowered Kemper, I'd suggest they try external amps with ICEpower modules. Apparently there are a number of say bass amps that use ICEpower, as they are very high quality and designed for OEM integration, with great design support. And it would be a great thing if someone would provide a service to retrofit ICEpower amps to unpowered Kempers.

Actually the smartest thing to do (I really regret not doing this in the first place) is to simply buy a powered Kemper.

Jose7822 likes this.
  8. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

This is not a solution for those who want to retrofit their non-powered KPA with a "built-in" power amp...however, if people are interested in a stand-alone poweramp, the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700 uses an ICEPower module.

Anthony Gring and MKB like this.
  9. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Gospel. If kemper gave us just a robust preset management I'd be totally satisfied.
    I've got around 1000 cabs waiting for a smart way to manage them...
    And, the current preset management is not only ineffective, but badly conceived IME. IMO, something written just in order to be able to release the device into the wild...

I didn't try many power amps for the KPA, but my Ambrosi totally satisfies me (and all the users that got one)

10. FreeBlues

FreeBlues Silver Supporting Member

I too have issues with the LCD panel. My eyesight is near perfect, but trying to read some of the effects screens - OD in particular - is near impossible in many conditions. Been my only real complaint with my Profiler.

I now use and love ToastMe, so having an "official" KPA editor is less important now than it was earlier. Still, I'd love to have the "official" version!

Veritas0Aequitas likes this.
  11. acroberts

acroberts Member

You running a powered Kemper into a cab with that Celestion? If not, what's your signal path? I'm strongly considering replacing Power Engine 60 stock speaker with the F12-200X :)

mbenigni likes this.
  12. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

My Kemper has a second party solid state amp build into the back of my Kemper. It is a Ritter Camplifier. I have 7 Celestion F12-200X now build into the Mojonoe Slammins 112, a Landry 212 slant diagonal and a Swanson 412. The speakers are equally great in either of these cabs. Of course it is like in the traditional guitar speaker world. 212 beat 112 and 412 beat 212. rburkard

acroberts likes this.
  13. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Jose7822 likes this.
  14. DamianGreda

DamianGreda Member

We will see . I will update ToastME to support new 5.7 beta firmware. I don't know if anyone will want to use Toast ME after official editor will be released. Other thing is that I have some feelings that MIDI specification will change (
    will be deprived of some functions) and in that case I will not be able to work on the editor's development anymore for new FW.
    Anyway, I'm glad that the official editor will be made available in the near future(
    and believe me, it surprised me very much because I did not expect the editor so quickly) and I think that this is a huge merit of these almost 1200 users interested in my application (for which I thank them very much) .

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  15. Watt McCo

I used ToastME once and just found the whole use of 2 MIDI cables, etc., too cumbersome for the benefit. BUT I really, REALLY appreciate the work you did/have done on this as I don't doubt it pushed Kemper to expedite work on the forthcoming editor.

DamianGreda likes this.
  16. Mr_You

Mr_You Member

If this is just a passive speaker then anyone could clone it. All the DSP appears to be happening in the Kemper.

I think this will be attractive to someone who wants a matching head and cabinet.

17. DamianGreda

DamianGreda Member

I do not gig so the KPA stays on my desk always connected with MIDI cables. I just do not thik about them. But I undestand if you have to move your KPA often this may be a problem.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Watt McCo likes this.
  18. Watt McCo

Well, if the driver is proprietary you'd have to put a decent chunk of change into cloning it. Not sure what speaker manufacturer is going to see the folks that (a) want to run their Kemper through a cab with speaker modeling rather than through FRFR or traditional cab AND (b) are too cheap to splurge for the matching Kemper cab are a big enough market to bother cloning a proprietary speaker.

19. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

A couple of things that the official editor likely won't have is a very nice graphic display for the Studio EQ, as well as Looper functionality. I also don't know if it'll have all of the locking functionality that ToastME has, which is something I use all the time. I mean, being able to lock everything but the cab at the touch of a button is very useful. To be honest though, I don't use the Looper, however for people who need or want it, it's nice to know it's there. I do like how the Amp, Stack, Cab, Reverb and Rig Option parameters in ToastME are visible on a single screen.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to trying the official editor.

20. bsd512

bsd512 Silver Supporting Member

With no editor from Kemper for 8 years, and then (and sincerely no offense intended) some random guy creates a pretty darn nice once, and suddenly Kemper has an editor. Make me wonder if you embarrassed them into it. :)

Regardless, thank you for your work. I found it very useful, useful enough to contribute beer money. And I even learned some new things about my Kemper because your editor makes it so easy to see all the features laid out before you vs deep diving into menus and rotating browser knobs hundreds of rotations to find things.

At this point though, I'm kind of still at the point of I'll believe it when it's actually up on my screen in Rig Manager. Seems like Kemper development goes at a snails pace since reverbs were announced at Summer NAMM and still in beta at Winter NAMM. Your editor may still be the only choice for years to come. :)