Finally tested my Carbon Copy Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jabbo5150, Mar 12, 2008.

1. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Member

Had it hooked up in front of my Brian May Special Vox practice amp. When I adjusted the settings to the slap settings suggested in the manual provided, it seemed to be oscillating pretty bad and making weird noises through my amp. This is with the delay set at around 7. When I upped it to 8 or 9, it went away.

As someone who has never owned an analog delay - is this normal?

Great delay otherwise. Sounds really warm and it is pretty easy to use.

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

Yeah, I tried that slap setting too with the same result. Somebody didn't proof-read the manual. The settings shown aren't even close. In any event, that pedal does a fantastic slap, and I'm sure you don't really need a manual to tell you how to get it.

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

No it's not normal, but me and Ice House have had the sam thing happen, so I guess it's some kind of flaw in the calibration.

Mind sharing?

4. jb1911

jb1911 Member

5. mkg

mkg Member

Last night I got some pretty good slapback/reverb through my Goodsell's effects loop with CC settings in this neighborhood:
    (L to R)
    10:00 10:00 8:00, mod off.
    I'm really liking this pedal, thinking about doing the R7 mod, even though it voids the warranty.

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Thanks for the info. Let us know how the mod comes out, I'm really liking my CC, too. I really don't want crazy modulation, just a little bit more.

7. Tinman

Tinman Member

There is nothing wrong with the calibration, there is a mistake in the manual. Slapback is easy to dial in. Set the pedal for one quick repeat, and make the repeat a bit quieter than the original note. I don't use any modulation, so set that to taste.

8. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

How does this delay compare to a Maxon AD-999?

9. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

+1 i'd like to hear that...:AOK

10. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I know compared to the AD999 is darker voiced. I dig the carbon copy so far, much more than the AD999. That's all I can say from memory.

11. oxtone

oxtone Member

I just spent a half-hour with the CC at GC today - I also got that weird oscillation noise when I turned the delay time all the way down
    with the Modulation ON. But, it went away when I turned the Modulation OFF, and increased the delay time. I like the mild Modulation
    the way it is.

I thought the pedal sounded very good for big ambient sounds, and plan to pick one up when I have the dough-re-me.

12. mkg

mkg Member

I'm thinking that doing the modulation tweak (replacing R7 with a 100k resistor) might still allow one to dial in mild modulation via the internal trimpots.
    In other words, turning the trimpots to the left would decrease modulation to the point where it was before the resistor change, with the bonus being that one could dial in some fairly deep modulation if desired by turning the pots to the right.
    Does this make sense?

13. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Yes it makes sense, but the only way to find out for sure is ...

14. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I agree that the subtle modulation is nice. Once you get over the fact that it's not suppose to be a "shimmer" chorus, it grows on you.

15. zwieback-dude

zwieback-dude Member

16. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

17. mkg

mkg Member

zwieback-dude, great video, thanks for posting it.
    I have to agree that the subtle modulation is very cool, and I'm not that crazy about voiding the warranty by messing with the inards.
    Is there a brave soul out there willing to do the R7 mod, and tell us if the reward is worth the risk?
    It's probably child's play for someone good with electronics, but I'm a klutz when it comes to that stuff. I did manage to shield my Tele, but that was a far cry from messing with an intricate circuit board.

:eek:

18. Grimace

Grimace Supporting Member

TINY resistors, I would need a magnifying glass/holder, not worth the risk with my limited skills

19. mkg

mkg Member

Holy cow, you're right...I just looked at the circuit board, and it's got surface mount resistors.
    I'll live with the subtle modulation, or hire a crew of ants to get in there and swap resistors.

:messedup

20. MrHuge

MrHuge Member

I just checked out the Carbon Copy manual and realized that the Delay knob setting on SLAP in incorrectÂ… So, the manual is wrong. Oops!
    For you amusement, I just sat down and made a 4 new sample setting. If the Mod is on it will be colored blue on these sample settingsÂ…
    sorry that the pic is so big...
    http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ccdsettingsjw8.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy!
    -Mr. Huge