Finally tried a PRS DGT today....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CharlieS, Sep 17, 2008.

1. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I happened to be the first to try a nice looking 10 top cherry sunburst Grissom model PRS today. It had just come off of the truck. It had a nice flame top and weighed 8 pounds even, but it felt a bit heavier than that to me. I plugged into a Blues Deluxe, just so that I could turn it up a little and listen. The tone was well-balanced in all positions, and cleaned up very well. The neck carve was slightly less full than the McCarty WF I compared it to. Tonally, the DGT was more open than the McCarty. The McCarty was fatter sounding and didn't clean up as well.

For yet another comparison, I played a Gibson historic R0. The tonal differences were immediately apparent. The Gibby had more highs, a fuller tone, and it was much easier to get pinch harmonics. Both PRS models tended to give more of the fundamental note, with less highs and fewer harmonics.

I loved the frets and feel of the DGT, but the tone was a bit too refined for me. I left without buying, and now wonder whether I'll ever find a PRS that I can really bond with. I've owned a number over the years, and I have always sold them. The best one was a CE-24 bolt-on that I bought new in 94 or 95, but I traded it away years ago.

Am I just not finding the right PRS, or are my ears too dialed into LPs and SGs?

2. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Hey, Charlie!

I think your ears are too tuned into SGs and LPs. OTOH, maybe you should play my Modern Eagle sometime.

I'm up to 7 PRSi, including a DGT. I like 'em for what they are, and have stopped worrying about what they're not.

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

Try a Mira. No other PRS has made me want to buy except the Mira. I'm in the Strat camp in the main ... no experience with SGs, so you might find it hard to not compare to your SGs. For classic rock, blues rock and plain old rock 'n' roll the Mira shines ... single coil tones can do funky too

4. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Thanks for the suggestion on the Mira. I haven't tried one.

Hey Kingsley! I have tried a few MEs last year. I have to say that they have been the most organic sounding PRS models I've ever played. I passed on one last year that spoke to me, and I shouldn't have let it go.

Perhaps my expectations were too high. I've played a few JG Bluesmasters, and all have a great open vintage tone with loads of harmonics. I was hoping to find something in that vein.

Has anyone had a chance to play more than one DGT? I wonder whether there is much variability from example to example. I love the feel, but also need to get certain sounds as well.

5. kingsleyd

If that's your yardstick, I don't think you're going to find a PRS you're happy with. There's a reason my Bluesmaster lives in NH and most of my PRSi live in KY.

I've played 3 or 4, including the tobacco 'burst one that DG himself plays. They seem like most PRSi -- pretty consistent from guitar to guitar, much more so than with Gibsons. Every so often you get one that's freakishly good, but that's rare.

Ya know, when I saw DG play his, I got all excited because the guitar/pickups seemed to have all that harmonic action you're talking about. And David is all about that "Duane at the Fillmore" tone you and I both love. So I ordered one. (and waited about 8 months while PRS figured out how to apply a gloss nitro finish!) I'm pretty happy with it -- feels great (I love the neck) and sounds "good but..." sort of in the way you've described. Of course it's in KY and the humbucker guitar it has to stand up to down there is Amber (my conversion). Pretty much anything sounds "good but" next to that one.

BTW, I second the recommendation to try a Mira. I have one of those too. Very cool guitar, lots of fun and a real different sound/feel for a PRS.

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

7. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Thanks, Paul. A good Tele can do a lot of this. I've gravitated more toward Strats, mainly due to the shape and feel.

Kingsley, your amber will make those other guitars hide in their cases. I have to wonder if DG's examples are just a little more special than the ones released to the public, or if his hands and amps are responsible for that great tone.

8. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

As a die hard Strat nut, I've been trying to find my perfect PRS for the past seven years. I've been through 10 and finally met my soul mate, the DGT. I wouldn't write the guitar off just yet, it really is an amazing instrument.

[​IMG]

9. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I love that goldtop. Frankly, if the guitar had been a goldtop with moons, I probably would have bought it. It was cherry sunburst with medium wide flame and the new birds. I'll keep looking for a lighter one as well...

10. reddog112

reddog112 Member

I have been waiting months for my DGT! Hope to see it soon

11. kingsleyd

The one I played, which DG says is his main one, was off the line. Nothing special about it other than it gets played a whole lot.

I do think DG's amps are really dialed in for his guitar. It may be that I haven't found the right amp yet -- I'm going to bring the DGT to NH later on this fall to see how it gets on with my Carol-Ann and my Top Hat.

Also, with the .011s and the jumbo frets, things just work differently than on a real slinky Les Paul (or JG).

12. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I am one of those peeps who tries to bond with PRS and could not as I had over 10 PRS in my life time but sold them all. I currently own 1 PRS - yep, DGT - and here are my findings;

Dislike;
    1) The neck is too slim as I prefer WF neck profile
    2) Sounds too new - no kidding :) - and less "organic/airy" in comparison to my other "used" guitars. Probably not a fair comparison but the guitar "supposedly" copied DG's favorite set of old PAF pups. Not even close, IMO.
    3) The frets - aka speed bumps - are the worst but I am trying to get used to it. This guitar is not meant to be played FAST, apparently. Not that I am a fast player nor into that kind of stuff but I don't like my guitar dictating how *I* should play. It is like owning a Ferrari that can only go 40 miles/hour.

Like;
    1) For some reason, I like its overall feel and it feels better than my previous McCarty, which was the best PRS that I've owned.
    2) Ever since I put a set of 10's instead of its stock 11's the guitar came with, it seems to play better - FOR ME
    3) It sounds less muddy and better focused than my since-sold McCarty
    4) Whammy - it feels a bit stiffer than other PRS models and I like that.

Down the road, I may change the pups to Rolphs and that is if I elected to keep. If not, I may just sell it. IMNSHO, they should outsource their "pickup division" as I have never found any PRS pups that I liked personally OR as Gibson once did, hire someone like - for example - Tom Holms or Jim Rolph as a consultant since they seem to be after that elusive PAF tone like everyone else and those two guys are the best at what they do. I am fairly impressed with recent Gibson burstbuckers and they've come a long way. In comparison with Gibson, PRS is more in vein of boutique shop and they have no excuse for not producing better pickups. IMNSHO, they are being arrogant for thinking that they can do on their own as they should spend more time developing or fine tuning their pups rather than trying to produce "pretty" guitars all the time. None of their $$ Private Stock guitars impress me other than their respective appearances and some people even collect them for their looks. Go figure :confused: My 2 yens, of course...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  13. gitman

gitman Member

when you go back and listen to DG's work through the years you'll find that he always had
    pretty much the same tone : medium gain, lots of definition and clarity. his style of playing (open strings, banjo rolls, popped strings etc) relies on a guitars with good sustain, string balance, fast attack and he got that in spades with his old PRS's, be it his first goldtop Custom, the well known goldtop McCarty with the trem, a McCarty HB, his ES-335 or his new model. amp-wise it's pretty similar. he obviously leans towards the Marshall-flavored tones, a little Vox sprinkled on (in the studio). live he used a metal faced Marshall 50 watt (Joe Ely), in his first video he is seen playing a Matchless Clubman and in the last few years he relied on BlackCat amps, all driven by a couple of Fulltone
    pedals for boosting the signal.
    i got very close to that tone with an older, beat up PRS Custom 22/trem and WCR Darkburst pups, pointed towards the british side with an OCD, into my Fuchs. very nice combo, hmmmm..... getting used to 0.11's might take some time and tall frets are not everyone's cup of tea, i know. i rather like it that way :)

14. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

i picked up the dgt discussed in the first post. it's sunburst with a 10 top in tiger stripe. fit and finish were typical prs quality. i really like teh neck shape (smaller than a mccarty, but substantial enough) and the large frets. i a/b'd it with my mccarty soapbar and my me (both stock). the dgt is clearer and more sparkly than both other prsi. it's got a very vintage paf type tone but with more output. a good comparison would be:

dgt is very dicky betts like, while the me is more warren haynes like (thicker, fatter). they compliment each other nicely. the dgt also cleaned up really nicely, with no tone loss as you turned down. the tone pot is also a very nice, smooth taper. with the tone on 4-5, it sounded a lot like the me, but not as compressed.

15. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Congrats on that guitar. It's a nice looking one and has some good sounds. I'm too much in the Gibby camp, I guess. Post a pic of it, if you can.

16. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

And Mike, when that DGT kicks your "Greenie" 24 to the curb, I'll gladly drive across the bridge to NoVA to help you dispose of the body...

;)

17. loudboy

loudboy Member

You got that right - I've got an '89 CE-24 that's the only one left, of the four I've owned.

If you're lookin' for a little more attack/aggressive tone, that's where it lives.

18. moretoyz

moretoyz Member

Hi , I don't own the DGT but own two of the Willcutt Mc Carty Trems which are basically the same guitar. Do yourself a favour and swap out the pickups with Lollar Imperials with the 4 conductor wires. You will have all the things you wanted. A cool guitar and one that sounds awesome on both single coil mode and in humbucker mode. The imperials will fit straight in and no need to worry about long legs etc. I also own two modern eagles . They are not the same sound excactly but the DGT will kill with the lollars.

19. kingsleyd

My first PRS was a 1990 alder/maple top CE-24. I traded it toward an '89 Custom because the Custom was the PRS, or so I thought. Tone-wise, a major mistake. That CE-24 is about the only guitar I've ever let go that I wish I could get back.

20. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

[​IMG]