Finally tried an Axe Fx

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by The Rossness, Jan 6, 2020.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

Please don't give me any more brilliant ideas :D

mbenigni, Lord N and ejecta like this.
  2. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

I had no idea that the Axe FX Ultra had to be powered by an amp! Cliff really has upped his game since then. My Axe FX III can be plugged directly into an electrical outlet. I’ve heard about the coal powered prototype tho.

cg likes this.
  3. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

If y'all felt a disturbance in the force awhile back, it was because I profiled a semi-clean tone from a Joyo American Sound pedal into my Kemper. And I use it. A lot. Wish I had an early Axe FX to play with so I could profile it as well.

tvegas99, jrjones and JiveTurkey like this.
  4. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Yup! The duplicity that tends to run rampant in these parts is nothing short of astounding.

Lord N likes this.
  5. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

duplicity?!?!? idiocy; blinded-by-honeymoon-stage; etc., absolutely. But duplicity?

mbenigni likes this.
  6. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Yes.

Definition of duplicity
    1: contradictory doubleness of thought, speech, or action

I have absolutely seen that happen more times than I can count. This thread has some amazing examples.

7. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I tried a Blackberry and really didn't see what all the hype about smartphones was all about. Sticking with my Nokia.

tvegas99 and JiveTurkey like this.
  8. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Gotcha. Plenty of that. I guess I read enough connotation in that term to usually give it dictionary.com's first definition rather than the one given by good ol' Merriam Webster.

deceitfulness; double-dealing.

mbenigni and ejecta like this.
  9. RayRay

RayRay Gold Supporting Member

Kinda proves Spectre’s point about digital stuff getting deprecated. Fractal fans didn’t like it, but seems to ring true...

Edit: meant to quote @Pat6969 too

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    ejecta likes this.
  10. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

paulg and jrjones like this.
  11. Tricerapotamus

Tricerapotamus Member

It's appears to be a graph of the relative size of the guitarist's ego.

Hard to believe that this thread was started less than 24 hours ago, because it already feels like a classic.

partytrain, mikah912 and handyman like this.
  12. chrishurley

chrishurley Member

I can't really go along with the "Ultra is old, you can't compare to 10 year old stuff" line. It didn't stop sounding great because newer stuff came out. Scott was right- that thing was and is a monster. There is no need to make excuses for it. I've seen them cheap and have thought about buying them just because they still rock.

I have an Axe-FX III now. Its great. Love it. Its got some great features that the older ones didn't have.

I had several Axe-FX II's before the III. Loved them. They worked Great. I tended to sell them when the guilt of owning such an expensive toy got too strong. I had an Axe-FX III and an Axe-FX IIXL+ at the same time. I played them back to back and couldn't really tell a difference but the Axe-FX III had all the extra I/O, which I appreciated, and was getting the new features and development which sealed the deal. It was mostly about the splitable FX loop.

I had an Ultra and an Axe-FX II at the same time. I had no problem with the feel or tone of the Ultra. I missed Axe-FX II features (X/Y buttons and certain amp block tweak stuff) but the Ultra sounded and felt great. The tools were there to get anything you wanted though some assembly was required. I actually put them both up for sale to sell whichever one sold first and it was the Ultra so I kept the II.

I've had several Kempers. I have threads here with my experiences with them. My last experience landed on "This works and sounds fine. I much prefer the Fractal workflow but if there was no Axe-FX, I'd probably have a Kemper." I had a Kemper at the same time as the Axe-FX II. I put them both up for sale and the Kemper sold first so I kept the Axe-FX II.

Glad the OP got the reinforcement he needed to keep his Kemper. The Kemper is cool! Enjoy! If you get one of those junk axe-fx devices given to you, send it to me. I'll dispose of it for you. :)

Freedom and ejecta like this.
  13. chrishurley

chrishurley Member

They're like $600 used. You don't think its worth $600? :)

14. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Well, this certainly counteracts all of those threads I read from people who are raving about running their Axe FX Ultra's through their Katana rig. Good job.

dougb415, ejecta and Jerrod like this.
  15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao
    Thanks for posting this. Absolutely hilarious!

True story.

Back in the late '70s I was with a friend driving on Martha's Vineyard going to the Tisbury Street fair with a load of pineapples she was going to sell and as we went around a tight curve on Vineyard Haven Road the door of her Pacer suddenly opened and one of the kids fell out and rolled down the embankment.

We were all horrified, stopped the car and ran down to see if the kid was alright but miraculously he was fine, a little scraped but nothing broken.

At any rate whenever I see anything about a Pacer I think of that moment and I swore I'd never buy one of those suckers.

Guitardave and tvegas99 like this.
  16. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Industry insiders state that 99% of the time it’s the playback system.

:hide

Watt McCo likes this.
  17. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Truth.

Agreed!

sleewell likes this.
  18. Deaj

Suddenly, I like pie charts.
    ...and crave pie.

19. Deaj

My local thrift shop has an old VHS video cassette player for sale and finally, I got to try one of these things out. I've always heard such positive things about these players, but was never able to try one in person. The unit I was using was hooked up to an old 30Hz, 15", 800x600 pixel, 16 bit color Compaq CRT computer monitor and a cheap pair of compact computer speakers. I only got to watch a few seconds of a video camera recorded bootleg of the movie Krull recorded in a movie theater, but hey, its better than nothing, right? (FWIW, I have a Nvidia Shield TV Pro 4K media streamer/player, a 65" Samsung 4K OLED flat panel TV, and a 7.1 surround sound system utilizing an old pair of Cambridge speakers driven by a pair of old McIntosh tube amp's for front Left & Right channels for video and music playback, which I'm convinced is the greatest single A/V equip purchase ever!)

Anyhow, I'm sooooooooo glad I got my high end A/V system and never had the itch to try a VHS/CRT A/V system. Yes It was a VHS and not a current gen 4K Nvidia Shield TV player, and yes I didn't bother to ask for better source media, but as far as A/V systems go, I wasn't impressed. Not at all for the price they were charging. Oh well.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    dougb415 and tvegas99 like this.
  20. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

So... you’re saying that an AVE FX Ultra is like an old VHS player?
    Maybe I’m starting to see the OP’s point after all.

Deaj likes this.