Finally updated my Helix to 2.10 and fine tuned my Plexi Patch

PJH

I've finally got around to updating my Helix to the latest firmware and thought it would be a good time to fine tune some patches.

In fact I decided to make this one from scratch. I've alway used the Tube Screamer in front of the Plexi NRM but this time I used the Compulsive Drive. The mic was an SM57 on axis and the speaker cab I chose was the 1960 T75.

Reverb, eq etc was all Helix. No other post at all.

I've received quite a few messages regarding the patch and the biggest request is to hear the tone without the backing.

I therefore added this second clip which is just noodling but the guitar is "solo".

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:

Frank Ritchotte

Gold Supporting Member
I've finally got around to updating my Helix to the latest firmware and thought it would be a good time to fine tune some patches.

In fact I decided to make this one from scratch. I've alway used the Tube Screamer in front of the Plexi NRM but this time I used the Compulsive Drive. The mic was an SM57 on axis and the speaker cab I chose was the 1960 T75.

Cheers

Peter

As always PJH....fantastic tone and playing!

joec63

Silver Supporting Member
Nice, was rocking the plexi jump last night. Which reverb are you using and mix ?

Reactions: PJH

mxk116

Gold Supporting Member

Cheers

Peter

Wowser; woody, tight, focused tone. That patch is exceptional. The recording does it justice as well. I must try that 1960 T75 cab.

While my patches have not yet yielded quality of that caliber, I must agree that FW2.10 is a big performance jump for the Helix. :beer

benifin

Silver Supporting Member

Cheers

Peter

Wow ..... just wow ..... honestly .... and as un-baisedly as I can be ..... at least as good ...... honeslty, maybe actually better ....... than any "pushed" Plexi I can get [ or heard ] out of my Kemper or Axe XL ..... and with a stock cab .... !!!!!

No question at all that Line 6 with the Helix is " here to play ".

Ben

Last edited:

MIJLOVER

Wow ..... just wow ..... honestly .... and as un-baisedly as I can be ..... at least as good ...... honeslty, maybe actually better ....... than any "pushed" Plexi I can get [ or heard ] out of my Kemper or Helix ..... and with a stock cab .... !!!!!

No question at all that Line 6 with the Helix is " here to play ".

Ben

Did you get a Helix, Benifin? Or did you mean Axe?

Great recording @PJH
You really know great tone :)

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Did you get a Helix, Benifin? Or did you mean Axe?

Great recording @PJH
You really know great tone :)

Opppss .... :) ..... post fixed ... meant to be " my Kemper and Axe XL ..... "

Havent got a Helix [ yet :) !?!?!? ] but man all these clips are really starting to take a major " GAS-toll " ... :)

All the best.

Ben

MIJLOVER

Opppss .... :) ..... post fixed ... meant to be " my Kemper and Axe XL ..... "

Havent got a Helix [ yet :) !?!?!? ] but man all these clips are really starting to take a major " GAS-toll " ... :)

All the best.

Ben

Axe and a Kemper is not that shabby a rig, though ;)
They're all fantastic. I just chose Helix since it ticked most boxes for the price. And I'm glad I did, it just keeps on getting better :)

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Axe and a Kemper is not that shabby a rig, though ;)
They're all fantastic. I just chose Helix since it ticked most boxes for the price. And I'm glad I did, it just keeps on getting better :)

You are totally right :)

I ve had both the Axe and KPA for a while and use both [ not at the same time :) ] quite a bit.

Had the KPA first ... then got the Axe .... when I got the Axe however there was nothing known about another L6 modeller ...... let alone the Helix.

If it were today ..... and I had my KPA ... and I wanted a 2nd modeller, I would not hesitate for a second getting a Helix instead of an Axe.

I am genuinley very fortuanate in that I can afford to also get a Helix and keep all 3 ..... but if I were to get a Helix, I simply would not want to spread my [limited :)] "mental energies" across 3 different platforms .... so one would go.

I have a strong and growing, sneaking suspicion that if I did get a Helix, it could well be bye to the Axe as what the Kemper does, nothing else can.

Ben

PJH

Wow!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I've had a few requests to hear the patch without the backing, so I added a second clip of me noodling with just the guitar. I've included a few "solo" parts and then added some delay (Simple delay in the Helix). I ended with some chunky rhythm parts.

Cheers,

Peter.

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Wow!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I've had a few requests to hear the patch without the backing, so I added a second clip of me noodling with just the guitar. I've included a few "solo" parts and then added some delay (Simple delay in the Helix). I ended with some chunky rhythm parts.

Cheers,

Peter.

Ok .... now your just showing off :) .... serioulsy great stuff Peter !!!

Just a quick idea / thought.

I *think* the Cab you used as a 4 x 12 Celestion GT-75 box (?) ... a great speaker that one ... my only remaining real cab is a 2 x12 GT-75 Cab.

Just wondering Peter, if you had the time .... I have found that when using GT-75 IR's I do a 50/50 blend/mix an equivielent V30 IR ..... any chance you go re-do [re-amp] the solo guitar track with a 2nd V30 IR doing a 50/50 mix (?)

I have found that adding a V30 IR 50/50 mixed with a GT-75 IR add's in that great mid-range-grind that is [by design] missing from GT-75 speakers.

No dramas either way though .... just a thought.

Really great stuff :)

Ben

Trending Topics

Top Bottom