Finally we can solve all arguments over when music "changed"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Crowder, May 8, 2016.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

This is one of the coolest things I've seen on the internet:

http://polygraph.cool/history/

You can pick a year and month and then watch and hear which songs were #1 at any given moment. So cool.

2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

If someone thinks it changed with the arrival of Elvis, or with Rock Around the Clock, or with Rocket 88, it's not gong to solve any arguments, because those all took place before 1958.

It's a cool site anyway.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    MrLahey and sixstringfuel like this.
  3. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Cool app, i spent a few minutes with it. I dont see how it settles arguments of any kind.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  4. Crowder

I was being cute. People are constantly posting about how music isn't what it used to be. That sentiment tends to coincide with the age of the user more than with the state of pop music at any given moment.

5. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Ah, im not good at cute. ;)

Crowder likes this.
  6. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

So this is intended to show that music has always sucked?

Which, of course, is false. Music was good then. It's good now. It will be good in the future.

Top fives indicate no more about music than sales at McDonald's indicate about the availability of good hamburgers.

Pat Healy and Washburnmemphis like this.
  7. grb718

grb718 Member

Totally agree with you in that
    "Music was good then. Its good now. It will be good in the future."
    Totally disagree with you in that I think top five indicates alot about music.. its what people listen to ..its whats popular , its what is selling. This surely indicates something.

That is a really cool app to check out though, thanks for that Crowder.

Takeway for me is that music just continues to evolve and change it didnt start to suck or
    get better at one particular time. It grows like a vine, pick the fruit off that you like.

Crowder likes this.
  8. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

That's awesome! None of the music is what I was listening to at the time, but it's a good indicator of what the masses were listening to. The top hits are almost always the most commercial and benign music of the time. It has to be fairly neutral to reach so many people, but in the same way it is symbolic of the general styles and trends of the time. When I graduated high school in '96 I was in a Ska Punkrock band and listened to Propaghandi, NOFX, AFI, and Lagwagon mainly. Certainly not Mariah Carey and Celine Dion. Same goes for today. I do have much more access to some truly impressive music today than I ever have in the past. Sadly, that's also why album sales almost don't exist.

Crowder likes this.
  9. Crowder

My point wasn't necessarily that pop has always sucked. This tool just highlights the false equivalence that is at the heart of every "today's music sucks" argument.

Guys point to Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus and say "This is crap! Where's all the good music like Foghat and Deep Purple we had in the 70's?!?" This allows you to go back in time and show that the bands that have become classics were rarely chart toppers.

I think the coolest use of the app is pinpointing certain times that are seen as a sea change in musical taste. Cue up 1963 and listen through 64 where the Beatles topped the charts for so many consecutive weeks and held numbers 1, 2 & 3 at the same time. That's cool, and in the collective memory that is when music changed from Pat Boone pablum to "real music." But then a couple of years later you're still seeing hits from people who dominated the prior era. Same with the Summer of Love era. Same with "My Sharona" ripping through the post-disco landscape only to give way to disco lite for a few more years.

Every once in a while you'll see a track from the Stones or Blondie or The Police, but mostly it's sugary pop.

It's an interesting tool. I can't stop exploring.

10. taez555

taez555 Member

It's always interesting to see that between 1990-1995 there's not a single Nirvana/Pearl Jam/etc Grunge Song in the top 5.

It's interesting. our perception of the times.

Crowder likes this.
  11. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

It's fascinating! Thanks for sharing the link. :)

Crowder likes this.
  12. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I'll have to check out when I get home.. :aok

13. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

What's really interesting to hear (for me, at least) is the transition from funk/R&B to disco which started around 1974, a little earlier than I had remembered, but it's clear in the 4-on-the-floor grooves found in random songs.

And, man, there was some serious sappy crap released back then...

Crowder likes this.
  14. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

I think about 95% of all recorded music does suck.

That would be the 95% I have no interest in.

15. reo73

reo73 Member

This is a really cool site. I've been listening through and the outlier songs are interesting to me. Like Lisa Loeb's 'Stay' hit #1 in the middle of a bunch of mid-90s R&B hits.

S3bird and Crowder like this.
  16. BigSB

BigSB Member

Music began to change NOT when someone "broke the mold" by doing something "different", but rather when people CREATED the molds, that is, began to codify and formalize notation, etc. There was a push towards what is played "right" and whatever comes along that is "not right" is considered crap by whoever believes in the formulas and strictures.

Imagine the polite chamber musicians of the late 19th and early 20th centuries when they came across rural blacks playing cobbled-together instruments and singing primitive-sounding field-holler proto-blues. imagine the classical-music aficionados who first heard things like Bill Monroe.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be rules; I'm saying if you believe they're necessary/required/better, you need to get dosed and just groove a while. To whatever. To the sound of the breeze and of baby giggles and the crinkle of the paper wrapped around a hot pastrami sub. ;)

clamflatslim and Crowder like this.
  17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    :bow

I checked out the 60s ... lots of good pop stuff .... boy Hey Jude rode the wave for months at the top! :eeks

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  18. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Yep.
    Although, I do have a good memory of seeing the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time.
    My girlfriend(who's now my wife) and I were living in North Austin(off Jollyville Rd), and we had MTV on while we
    were getting ready to go out that night. The video came on, and I swear that we both stopped in our tracks
    to watch it.
    It was one of those moments when you actually KNEW things were about to change.

19. taez555

taez555 Member

I remember seeing the video for the first time as well. Vivid memory of that moment in time. It literally felt like the world was making a 90 degree turn from that day forward.

But yeah... it's funny though looking at the charts.

I remember all the Michael Jackson, GnR, Vanessa Williams, Color Me Bad, Eric Clapton acoustic stuff too. From a sales standpoint, to this day even, those albums all blow the Grunge Albums out of the water. And yet in my mind the alterna bands seemed to have a bigger impact. Maybe it's selective memories, or from my point of view as a 14yo kid at the time it was bigger than it was.

We like to believe in all these single events shaping history, but in reality it's millions of little bits over time that slowly change the taste of our human Gumbo.

20. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member