Find the original PRS "300's"- 1990/1991 Limited Edition PRS Guitars Reunited

AZGuitaristAZ

When I first purchased my 1990 PRS Limited Edition guitar, I had a hard time finding information or pictures for the vast majority of this rare group of "300's" (due to the future burst of "Limited Edition" titled runs of PRS Guitars after factory production began...I refer to this run as a "the 300's" to silo it into its own category). I was able to find the following description on the PRS website that states "LIMITED EDITION: 1990 - 1991. Signature grade woods, semi-hollow body with cedar, redwood, or maple top, gold hardware, tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece (a few tremolo equipped guitars were made), signed and numbered, only 300 made." The maple tops also carry a 30% higher value according to bluebookofguitarvalues.com. That was all I had to go off at the time I purchased and am glad that I went with my gut on it after digging a little deeper into it.

Dave Burrluck, the author "The Complete History of Paul Reed Smith Guitars" wrote that this run of 300 has to be one of the rarest and least known PRS models out there (of course they would be behind the original Dragon's and Namm 20 in terms of rarity, but 1st in terms of awareness). The front of each headstock was personally signed by Paul Reed Smith himself and each of them were semi hollowbody's. They were also the first PRS guitars to feature a gold Tune-o-matic and stoptail bridge (although a few had the standard PRS trem).

It appears that none of the "300's" are alike so lets form a a single thread to compile images, stories, and the owners of these Limited Editions to help shed light/awareness on this VERY limited group of early PRS guitars.

To start things off, here is my 1990 Limited Edition PRS #178/300 with a One Piece Maple top that was made for Vince Neil. It is definitely my pride and joy. Please post your "300" and any details that you may have around it so we can try and to get this coveted group of axes reunited. I'm stoked to see what comes together.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Gottdayum that's sweet!

I'll give ya $1995 fer it. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it would be a prized possession for me as well!

guitararmy

I bought #18/300 new. It has the redwood top in tortoise shell, with the standard features of gold hardware, stop tailpiece and semihollow body.
Originally I was going to get #16, but it was accidentally shipped to a different store and I was told they kept it for themselves...

AZGuitaristAZ

I bought #18/300 new. It has the redwood top in tortoise shell, with the standard features of gold hardware, stop tailpiece and semihollow body.
Originally I was going to get #16, but it was accidentally shipped to a different store and I was told they kept it for themselves...
wow..shady on the other stores part, but they knew what they had in hand. Could you post some pics of your "300" for the group? That will make it 2 down 298 to go. If you know anyone else with one, encourage them to share as well. I can't wait to see #18!

The bear

This is one of those guitars you hold onto, so if he has it and can send you pics that would be great man! The hunt is on...
I just sent out a request to him on FB(I thought we where friends but maybe that was back in the myspace days).
I remember it was a semi-hollow limited edition, but it has been so long so I don't remember what the guitar looked like but I think it had a tuno-matic and a tail piece.

AZGuitaristAZ

I just sent out a request to him on FB(I thought we where friends but maybe that was back in the myspace days).
I remember it was a semi-hollow limited edition, but it has been so long so I don't remember what the guitar looked like but I think it had a tuno-matic and a tail piece.
I think its awesome that this guitar stuck with you from someone you knew a ways back. I sure hope he responds and still has it. If there are more people like you out there then we should be able to track down pics all of the "300". Although it will take a while, it sure will be a beautiful thread once we have all of those axes posted.

The bear

Yes, it was pretty loud acoustically and set up with 10's. I was obsessed with PRS guitars at the time and my main guitar was a CE24(still have it as well as a spruce hollowbody). I will try to find out more.

AZGuitaristAZ

Just out of curiosity ... Why was this guitar in such a state of disassembly, with the pickups completely removed as well? Or was that one an original build pic? (which would be exceptionally cool)
I had sent it in the the PTC for them to check it out and do a complete setup on it. I hadnt taken the pickups out of it and asked him to see what pickups were in it while they had it (I didnt want to pull them out after they set it up perfectly).I didnt realize it was made for Vince Neil until Matt with the PTC team sent me that pic. Those guys are fantastic with their customer service.

Last edited:

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
One of my best friends is a big PRS collector. I know that he has at least of one of those, possibly two. He has a lot of rare PRS guitars. He has two 85s, a Heavy Metal, a Dragon II, every model of Artist (I, II, III, etc.), and many more!

AZGuitaristAZ

One of my best friends is a big PRS collector. I know that he has at least of one of those, possibly two. He has a lot of rare PRS guitars. He has two 85s, a Heavy Metal, a Dragon II, every model of Artist (I, II, III, etc.), and many more!
Duuude. That kind of collector probably has them in pristine condition. See if he can share some pics of his "300" and specs on this thread. I would love to see some others on here today. Great to see everyone out there trying to pull these together.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
Duuude. That kind of collector probably has them in pristine condition. See if he can share some pics of his "300" and specs on this thread. I would love to see some others on here today. Great to see everyone out there trying to pull these together.
The shame of it is, he has over 60 guitars and they just sit in their cases in a room. Honestly, it would take forever to even find what case it's in. I don't really remember the color of it as it's been years now since I've seen it, I just know that he has at least one because I remember when he got it and how funny I thought it looked with the tune-o-matic.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I had sent it in the the PTC for them to check it out and do a complete setup on it. I hadnt taken the pickups out of it and asked him to see what pickups were in it while they had it (I didnt want to pull them out after they set it up perfectly).I didnt realize it was made for Vince Neil until Matt with the PTC team sent me that pic. Those guys are fantastic with their customer service.
That's called serendipity! Whether or not you're a Vince Neil fan, that's still a cool finding.

Trending Topics