Finding a bass player

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by xrleroyx, Jan 19, 2015.

1. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

Our bass player just out of nowhere quit right in the middle of us recording our debut album. We have a fairly large fan base, and would gig regularly.

We are good friends, and I support his decision to pursue other passions. I don't understand why he'd drop ~$1k on all new bass equipment to just dip out though.

This leaves us in a bad spot. He wasn't a fantastic bassist, but easily the best we've had. We need to find someone as good or better.

I play bass very well, but I also sing and I can't do both at the same time. I'm not as cool as Sting.

I'd ideally like to find someone who actually has a bass, and a bass amp.

We get paid fairly well, and gig often. Besides wishing upon a star, how'd you guys find one?

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

If you've got a large fan base and gig regularly, it shouldn't be a problem - just put it out on FB.

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Craigslist, references. If you've been on the scene for a few years, should be able to put the word out for friend of a friend.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

If you gig often, and for good pay, you should be in a position that good players would be standing in line to want to play with you. Maybe check with local music stores or steal a bassist from another band?......not the best thing to do but if you're gigging a lot you should be able to find someone good easily.

I would say that should be a minimum requirement, at least.....have you had trouble with this in the past?

5. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Good paying gigs is how you get good players.

Musicians (when it comes down to it) care only about one thing--how much?

6. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

Yep. We just kind of exploded in popularity over the past couple months. We played a ton on the other side of the state, then I moved over here. Got a new bassist and drummer and things just took OFF. Our previous bassist did not own a bass.

I mean, we're an indie/grunge band in Detroit. Not the most high-brow tunes in the world, although on our upcoming album there are a couple difficult King Crimson-y tracks.

7. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

They can be really difficult to find.
    If you are really working, you might have some luck at www.bandmix.com