Finding a long-lost guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ugly Bunny, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Supporting Member

Has anyone ever tried to reunite with an old guitar?

My first electric guitar was a Peavey Raptor that I SEVERELY modded and altered. I used a wood burner and carved stuff into the pickguard, swapped pups, etc etc. I ended up giving it to a friend over 15 years ago after his car was broken into and his gear stolen. I placed an ad on the local Craigslist in 2014, but got no bites. I just tried again: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/5910346749.html

I would LOVE to have this guitar back if for no other reason than to hang it on a wall or something.

Has anyone ever had any luck in this department? A part of me feels like it's a legitimate possibility that someone will see it the ad realize their best friend's neighbor's friend's roommate's cousin has it on some shelf in his grandparent's gardener's nephew's work friend's garage.

*Sigh. It was just a crappy 1990's SSS Sunburst Peavey Raptor with a buttload of stickers. I suppose it probably got cannibalized and/or thrown away, but it'd be super cool if I ended up finding it. Wishful thinking...

2. Londonbus

Londonbus Supporting Member

I occasionally scan for a guitar I owned 20 years ago and sold for some stupid reason.

Same thing, not an expensive guitar, but highly sentimental. Maybe someday.

Ugly Bunny likes this.
  3. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

Same here. I'm looking for my brown Peavey T-15 that I bought new in 1981.

4. Callaway 1

Callaway 1 Member

98% of those that are gone are like former GF's fun while it lasted then and gone for a reason, the remaining 2% I know who owns them and would have as good a chance of getting them back as growing another set of permanent teeth. So no real constructive reason to even look for me other than raise my blood pressure.

Ugly Bunny likes this.
  5. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

Certainly worth a try posting here and on the AGF. I've been fortunate enough to grab one of my favorite guitars back when I found it hanging at my local guitar store in the used section...

6. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I sold this '78 SG just before my wife and I were buying our first home. It was my number one guitar while I was playing in a somewhat serious touring indierock band in the early 00s.

One day on a whim I searched eBay for "1978 Gibson SG" and there it was with 20hrs left on the auction. Turns out there was another forum member eyeing it at that moment as well. I had to do a little sweet talking to convince him to back down and I was able to get my old guitar back. I don't think there's been a show since where I didn't play it for at least one song.

7. Headshok

Headshok Member

I actually just reunited with the first guitar I ever bought. In the mid 90's, I wanted to learn guitar. I went to the local guitar store and was about to purchase an Ibanez Talman when I spied an oddly shaped guitar that I recognized from Paul Stanley and Steve Miller playing one...the Ibanez Iceman. It was about $125.00 more than the composite body Talman I was about to buy. I ended up with the Iceman. I started taking lessons at the time from some guys that really frustrated me. They would solo while I watched. Really, just showing off. I got frustrated and quit after a while. Then I got in some money trouble and sold the Iceman to eat and quit even trying to play guitar. Fast forward to about a month or so ago. I had vowed to get another Iceman, if I could, once I started playing again. I loved the shape and the neck was sublime, very similar to the RG. A local guy had one on CL just like my old one for sell or trade with the case. I had the Indonesian built PRS SE245. We came to an agreement and traded. The Iceman was pristine. I still had the layaway ticket from my old one. Lo and behold, it was the same one. I was astounded. I called the guy up and told him it was mine originally and told him the story which he thought was cool. It still plays and sounds like it did (at least as I remember) and will never leave my possession again. It is almost like it was preordained to be mine.

Ugly Bunny and justabubba like this.
  8. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

I've found two of my former guitars that I missed for sale again, both for much more than I sold them for, and passed both times. In both cases, I instead bought a different, similar guitar to fill the hole. And in both cases, I ended up liking the new one more anyway, hah.

9. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I gave my first guitar, a Squier Strat, away many years ago, later found it in a pawn shop, and bought it back for $10. The Allen key hole was shot and the strings were a mile high. I just hung it up on the wall for I think year before deciding to get rid of it for $20. At least I made some cash the second time around.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    JPIndustrie and Ugly Bunny like this.
  10. Ugly Bunny

Man; you guys are giving me hope :)

I do have a couple other bass guitars that I would love to be reunited with because they were stolen and pawned by a former bandmate (left me and the drummer high and dry on the way to a gig across the country and pawned all our gear). But I have no idea where it would have even been pawned at. It was a rock-solid Squier II P-bass. Had the coolest, graveliest tone I'd ever heard in a P bass. Oh well.

11. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

Here's my story of finding a long lost guitar, my dad's '59 Gibson ES-125:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...td-c-restoration-story.1613204/#post-20521977

A couple years ago I also sold an Epi Dot that I'd love to find again. The guy I sold it to pawned it, but the pawn shop doesn't have any record of who bought it, or won't tell me. I'd love to buy that one back, because of the amount of work that a friend of mine did to it (Phat Cat P90s, bigsby, wiring, tuners, etc.) before I bought it from him.

12. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

I sold a white Firebird a few years back when the truck needed brakes... reached out to the guy I sold it to a few months later but he'd already sold it onwards (to L&M), so it was gone without a trace.

A few times (usually after reading a thread like this), I posted ads on Kijiji looking for my old Firebird. Had a few replies, but most had the wrong serial number. I found the guy who currently has the 'bird, but he wants twice as much as what I sold it for. It was a nice guitar, but not that nice... still interesting to know where they're at though!

13. Ejphotos

Ejphotos Supporting Member

I occasionally look for the Les Paul Junior Lite that I used to have years ago.

14. Ugly Bunny

Yeah, I guess I'm not really expecting to find it, but it would be a pretty cool twist of events if I did. I've already got a few bites from the ad, but it's mostly "hey if you don't find it, I'll sell you my Squier tele for cheap..." and so on.

15. Ugly Bunny

Jdstrat likes this.
  16. -CM-

-CM- Something Clever Here Silver Supporting Member

I posted this back in August.

Back in early 2005, I bought a gorgeous and wonderful sounding Larrivee OM-size acoustic guitar with incredible Koa back and sides. In late 2006, I sold it for various reasons, but always wished I had held onto it it. Just a few months ago, when I was gassing for a smaller-bodied acoustic, I saw it for sale on the Larrivee forum. So I snagged it up, and it's in really great shape. No dings or anything, not even scratched!

So be optimistic - you just might get a guitar back!

Here's the guitar back in 2005. Sad to say that Woodrow is gone, but it's nice to have the guitar back.

[​IMG]

Ugly Bunny likes this.
  17. Coopster

Coopster Member

I have two long lost guitars I'd love to find again. A Kramer Baretta with the Kline fly graphic and a fantastic 78 tobacco burst Les Paul Custom. Pawned both out at different times for similar reasons (bills) for far less than I care to remember. While the Baretta is just cool and I would probably never buy it again, the Lester is a different story. I miss that thing! 10 pounds of freakin' awesome! Now it's at a price point where, even if I did find it, I doubt I could afford it. I even thought I had it for a minute, a friend of mine had come across one and brought it to me to look. Alas, it wasn't mine.

Ugly Bunny likes this.
  18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I never let my first electric guitar (Made in Sweden '67 Hagstrom Viking 1) get away in the first place!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ugly Bunny likes this.
  19. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

I have a pretty crazy story along these lines. I once snapped up a Carvin Ultra V for a stupid $350 or so. Later got a great deal on a set of Bareknuckle Nailbombs and threw them in. A few years ago I ended up selling it because the opportunity came up to buy my dream amp. Sold it for $800. That person later ended up selling it someone else. Regretted it soon after because it's one of those "perfect" guitars...amazing playability, amazing tone, and super lightweight and comfortable despite being solid alder and a V.

Fast forward a few years and I'm browsing Guitar Center's used gear site online when I come across my exact Carvin, Bareknuckles and all, for a neat $450 (I guess whoever sold it to GC didn't know the pickups that were in it). It was even at my local GC, so no shipping cost to pay and no wait. I called them, made sure it was still there, and literally RAN over to buy it back. Never going to sell this thing again.

[​IMG]

Jdstrat and Ugly Bunny like this.
  20. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

And this is yet another reason for my 'never sell a guitar' policy, you never know if you are going to either regret selling the guitar or miss it in the future.