Finding a singer with baritone to bass range

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Texas_Blues, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I've been taking voice lessons, and Im a low baritone to bass range, and I can get up to some treble stuff but I still need work on that. Ive been practicing with Beatles and John Frusciante songs, but is there any singer that's not a tenor singer. The only one Ive been able to find is Eddie Vedder.

Thanks..

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Elvis, Jim Morrison, Hendrix, Morrisey, Danzig, David Bowie, Brian May, and the Robin Trower band (james dewar), me....

some of them stray into tenor, but they're mostly baritone-range.

3. Mr Savage

Mr Savage Member

Chris Cornell and Jim Morrison are two of the best baritone rock singers.

It is tougher to pull off because you are singing in the same register as the chords.

Frank Sinatra was a baritone, as were many other crooners. If you are willing to give that stuff a try, there is some great singing to be found.

And of course, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

good luck trying to sing chris cornell stuff if you're a baritone though! his range is totally unreal. i guess that's why he's chris cornell and i'm not.

5. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

7. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Check out Greg Brown, a great baritone folk singer ... incredible voice.

8. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Surprisingly, Rob Halford sounds pretty good in the baritone range, even though he's known more for his high range.

9. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

T-Bone Walker
    Nat King Cole
    Ray Charles
    Otis Redding
    Charles Brown
    Fats Domino
    Brook Benton
    Lou Rawls
    Albert King

Those are some of the ones off the top of my head. Still too early for me...

10. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

The guy with the Crash Test Dummies has a very deep voice.

John

11. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Morrissey and Danzig were the first ones about whom I thought:dude.

12. Tuco

Tuco Member

Yup, that be Brad Roberts, I believe.

Also Gavin Rossdale of Bush is a baritone.

13. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Mac Powell of Third Day has a great natural baritone.

14. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I'm in a similar position, and singing along to stuff, I find that most songs drift into tenor range at some point, even Ed Vedder. Which is where Eb tuning comes in handy, giving youi a semi-tone's worth of help at the high end of the scale.
    I'm surprised how high I can go at times. I've worked my way up to a G for exercises, though it's a struggle. Singing E/F in a song is now easy for me, whereas when I started it was frankly impossible. This from a 44 yr male with no history of singing competence. When I started, I was thinking more along the lines of Long John Baldry than Axel or Bono.

15. Rufus

Rufus Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat also. Most rock/pop/folk singing is out of my natural range (although some can be transposed without sounding too strange). The capo is your friend as you can capo up some and then transpose down an octave.

Aside from the suggestions made by others, don't forget Johnny Cash. Several country types (Garth Brooks, Randy Travis, etc.) have pretty deep voices as well, if you like that stuff.

16. fusion58

fusion58 Member

Pat Travers
    Steve Lukather

17. Kaviler

Kaviler Member

Baritone voices are more built to produce a darker edge then a tenor and work well in romance type songs and ballads. However if your looking to rock and roll with it there are a couple of things you can do to help.

1. Transpose the songs into a lower key.
    Typically i found droping a normal tenor like billy joel or goo goo dolls down a third is about right for the average baritone. An exceptionally high tenor like aerosmith however might need a drop closer to a fifth.

2. Take lessons to develop your voice. I have been studying voice for 8 years now and I am a baritone bass that can sqeak out a tenor high B. Its important to point out though that most baritone voices won't stick well above the staff but I firmly believe ANY baritone who studys voice for long enough can at least produce a clean A natural.

18. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Terry Kath and Robert Lamm (Chicago)
    Richard Manuel (The Band)

19. stevel

stevel Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Hootie and the Blowfish guy (Darius Rucker?). He's probably the most successful baritone to bass singer who actually sings in his range.

Remember, a lot of the cats - even Vedder, that are being mentioned really do get up in the tenor - and alto range.

Another good one - excluding the yelps - is David Lee Roth. Listen to Ice Cream Man. Yes, he too gets up way high, and screams and such, but when he's singing Baritone, he's Baritone.

Someone mentioned Brad Roberts from Crash Test Dummies. I'd agree there as he really sings within his range, but he's actually more of a bass.

There's a lot of rock cats being mentioned though - I bet there are far more Country singers who sang/sing baritone (even though daddy sang bass and momma sang tenor).

HTH,
    Steve

20. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member