Finding a used American Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rabbuhl, Feb 14, 2009.

1. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

There are no Guitar Centers where I live, and shipping and import duites can be is expensive. So, getting a guitar like an R8, or DGT can take some time and effort. Meanwhile, on my short list is an American Stratocaster SSS with a rosewood fretboard. I would like to find a used one in excellent condition for a good price (or a used 50th or 60th Anniversary American Stratocaster). Someone mentioned that they were able to buy one from eBay for about $400. Shipping to where I live would be about $150. Import duties could potentially add another $100. Where is the best place to find a good deal?

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

$400 sounds way too cheap for a MIA Strat. From what I've seen $650-$750 would be a little more accurate.

It's too bad shipping and duties are so high for you.

3. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

That's the price they pay for having hash bars and legal prostitution hah hah. $400 seems way low though unless it's absolutely beat to hell and even then some guys would consider that reliced and pay double for it.

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'd agree with this. I have a 40th Anniversary Strat in mint shape which I would never consider parting with it for less than $700 and certainly not for $400.

Having said, this I can't imagine it would be that hard to find a used American Strat, though not for $400 in anything approaching decent condition.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I sold an Am. Std. in Nov. '06 with the matching headstock I bought new in Jan. '96 for $750.00

6. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Member

I am a sailor in the US Navy and this summer I was in Split, Croatia where a brand new Fender Center store opened up. They had a lot of cool stuff in there and the shipping would have to be cheaper for you. I did a Google search and didn't find any phone number or address but it does exist. I might even have a receipt or something with contact info. PM me if any of this is helpful.

7. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

I got my American Strat from mustic-go-round for $480 used, so you should look around there.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Provided they have Music-Go-Round stores in the Netherlands.

9. hackett

hackett Member

can't find a strat in the netherlands? sounds like a business opportunity. there you go again, darned americans.

10. langga1

langga1 Member

11. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I am in Den Haag next weekend and am planning to stop by Max's to check out R8s, SGs, some Road Worn strats, and so on.

12. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Hmmn, sorry for the confusion. There are lots of guitar stores in the Netherlands. It is easy to get new Stratocasters or Gibson Les Paul but a bit harder to get a Gibson historic.

The used market for Les Pauls is pretty good. I found a LP Standard for about 1350 euro whereas a new one costs about 2275 euro.

I just saw a 1999 Standard Stratocaster for 750 euro whereas a new costs 1250 euro. If I can get a used American Standard Stratocaster for about between 500 and 700 euro that would be cool.

13. speedtaco

speedtaco Member

I bought a 1991 US Olympic white strat on ebay for $450.00. It's beat up, but I love it. They are out there, you just have to wait.

14. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I was bidding on eBay for some Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocasters but those fell through. I ended up buying this 2000 American Standard Stratocaster yesterday from someone who lives closeby for a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

15. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

Looks very cool. Have loads of fun with it. Peace. J.J.B.

16. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Nice guitar! I had a Am. Std. 3 tone rosewood. I had a pearl pick guard on mine but I like the look of your much better.

How do you like it so far?

17. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I just plugged it into an amp for the first time. So far, so good. It needs a visit to the guitar tech for a setup and to adjust the pickup heights. I will at some point order try some fralins or fender cs pickups to see how much of a difference they make in the tone and sustain of the guitar.

I now have 3 sisters: a 95 Am. Dlx Plus 3 tone rw, an 08 Am. Dlx HSS 3 tone rw, and now an 00 Am. Std. 3 tone rw. I will keep the other two all-original. This one is going to be my partscaster.

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had three Am Std's but they all had different pickups.

If all it needs is pickup height adjustment, grab a screw driver and adjust them. There is no right or wrong unless you get them too close. They'll sound better further away from the strings anyway. Plus, it's a matter of personal taste.

Save some money and do it yourself.