Finding Fuzz for SFSR fender head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Carabinerx, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

I know it works for some, like the White Stripes and Black Keys, but my newly purchases zvex fuzz factory was all fizz and little fuzz. Now, im seeing this come up in my search for solutions that certain amps -- like old fenders -- dont take all fuzz pedals well, lets in too much high-gain fizz over other frequencies (sounds about right). So how to I figure what will at least work without having to spend $$$ in trial and error (as for liking it, thats my own problem)? Why does a big muff work but the fuzz factory doesnt? Im seeing 'Hi-cut pedals for fenders' come up a lot...

And, can you guys recommend some good fuzz, od, and boost pedals for a sf super reverb?

2. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I would disagree.... I think the Fuzz Factory can work quite well with Fenders, even BF/SF circuits. It may just take a little knob twiddling.

I am a fan of Germanium fuzzes, so I tend not to care for Muff-style fuzzes. However, I always loved the way my old Russian black box muff sounded.

3. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I have 2 silverface Fenders and fuzz pedals sound fine with them. Lately I'm very smitten with a Red Witch Fuzzgod. Sounds very good with my bandmaster.

4. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

Like I said, not all, I know some do. But, even today at a local guitar shop, I offhandedly mentioned it and the manager asks what amp I was using -- SF/BF fender -- "Oh, yea thats gonna sound like s**t through an older fender." Is there anyway to correct this? I like the fuzz factory, but there has to be a way to tame it, or what similar fuzz will ork with this amp?

5. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

My Fulltone '70 sounds farty with my blackface, but my Octafuzz with the octave switched off and gain down works fine

6. jcs

jcs Member

I don't know......these amps are fussy in regards to tubes and speakers.

Play around with the mid control too.

My 71 SFSR sounds pretty good overall with most fuzz....i've heard some like you describe.

7. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Have you clipped out your bright cap? That makes a diff. Also consider running an OD just shy of breaking up after the fuzz and see if that helps you.

8. JiMB

JiMB Member

9. FFking

FFking Member

I have a new 68 custom deluxe reverb and like the swollen pickle dirty Donny edition. There are so many options with the pedal that makes it very tweakable. I haven't tried a lot of fuzz pedals because I was able to manipulate this one to come up with so many sounds.

10. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

I really like the Menatone Popo Fuzz & an older big box Fulltone Soul Bender w/ my '66 Princeton & '67 Vibrolux. 2 different flavors of fuzz, but both sound killer w/ Fenders. Better low end response. Never really mated w/ the fuzz factory, but different strokes...

11. Pelagic

Pelagic Supporting Member

Try the fuzz thru the Normal channel.

Also, lowering Treble and Bass will raise the relative level of the Mids which may help with fuzz.

12. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

MXR La Machine or Fulltone Ultimate Octave Fuzz

13. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

Some great suggestions here. I dont know if the bright cap has been cut, its a vibroverb clone from a SFSR so who knows whats going on in there. I tried a fulltone OCD after the FF, and it did make things fuller and rounded out, but kicked thing into serious drive. I generally play the FF with the volume rolled back to about 7 for most of the rhythm parts, but it was just too much fuzz/crunch even at 7 with the ocd (as a boost, no drive). Thats one of the challenging things about this pedal, just so much fuzz on tap!

Here is what I found that does work: neck pick up, volume rolled to 6, tone rolled to ~2. It sounds like a bridge pickup, there is so much treble, but has the bass and punch of the neck pup, with killer harmonics. It sounds great there, and that 6-9 on the vol makes for some cool sounds...but I feel this pedal's potential is being wasted here. There is so much more, but what's actually usable for me is so limited... what do you guys think of the zvex mastron? Ive got an offer to trade the FF for one.

14. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I run a Zvex Mastotron. That thing is an animal. Tons of fuzz. Too much for some, I hear. Works well for me. It gets mixed reviews. I like it but I will admit I don't know fuzz all that well. I just use what I got for fuzz and it works for me.

15. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

16. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

Ive got it! Ive got the perfect combination. A bearfoot rooster booster has solved everything. There is no mid control on this amp so having this upper-mid boost is great, and running it after the Fuzz Factory, I no long have to turn the tone control to max, it has tamed the shrill high end. I am loving this set up, the rooster booster is always on, makes the cleans even fuller (fills in the mids gap) and tames the high end of the FF but lets it still rip! LOVING the rooster booster.