Finding Naptha in the UK?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Trev, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Trev

Trev Member

On the Suhr website they offer advice on cleaning guitars and advocate the use of Naptha, which is apparently readily available in the US in hardware stores.

I've searched high and low for some in the UK; in hardware shops, paint shops, on line - all to no avail.

Does anyone have a link or know of a place that sells Naptha (or of a suitable, safe substitute that's not going to strip off my finish!?)

Thanks,

Trev

2. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I believe it's the same as lighter fluid. Not 100% sure, though.

3. rooster

rooster Member

It's lighter fluid.

rooster.

4. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Yes, the liquid lighter fluid as used in Zippo type lighters is naptha. It is great for cleaning guitars, fingerboards, greasy hardware, removing sticker gunk (from guitars & cases) & doesn't hurt finishes - safe on nitro. It evaporates completely, leaving no oily residue or odor.

5. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

it's got oil in it. Zippo is cool. Might check auto parts stores that cater to body & paint pros. There's lots of good finishing stuff to be had there.

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

My company uses the stuff, but we're stateside. First off it is actually cumbersomely enough spelled: Naphtha. Some vendors call it VM&P Naphtha, it is related to mineral spirits, but I would be careful. True Naphtha will completely evaporate if you put a little bit, a tablespoon or so in a vessel and leave it uncovered. There is no "non-drying" oil in Naphtha. Good luck with your search.

7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Isn't this what is called white spirits in the UK?

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

really? the bottle of "ronsonol" under my kitchen cabinet just says "contains naphtha", and does a damn good job of de-greasing, de-glueing, and de-gumming stuff.

9. Trev

Trev Member

Hey Mark, thanks - it would help if I was using the right spelling when looking for the stuff wouldn't it!;)

A few people have said lighter fuel is the same so I'll check that out too - I'll check the ingredients list first though.

Thanks all,
    Trev

10. Bob V

Bob V Member

divided by a common language...

Naphtha is labeled in the paint section of USA stores as "VM&P Naphtha" which stands for "varnish makers & paint." It's what you would actually use if you were going to thin oil based varnish or paint. Same as lighter fluid.

"Paint thinner" is altogether different and it's a misnomer; it's really "mineral spirits" and is not well enough refined to use for actually thinning paint (although it's fine for cleaning brushes). Mineral spirits does leave an oily residue whereas naphtha does not.

Now, what you've got as "white spirits" - not sure what we'd call that - that might be the same as what you call "paraffin oil" which I never was able to figure out.

By the way while we're on the topic of translations, I have to admit that your term "scratchplate" is much more appropriate than "pickguard."