Finding That "Hillsong" Tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NickDanforth, Mar 31, 2008.

1. NickDanforth

NickDanforth Member

About 2 years ago, I dropped my pedal rig, and decided to play just Guitar - Amp for a while. The main purpose of this decision was to remember that my versatility would come from my playing, and not my effects.

I absolutely loved that time. The rig was simple, easy to transport, and I really learned how to play my guitar and my amp together as best as I could.

Now, I'm starting to add some effects back in very slowly, and beginning to build a comprehensive effects rig to use on a regular basis. However, I've been away from the pedal scene for a while now, and really have no idea where to start.

I'm mainly going for a Hillsong/Hillsong United tone overall. My two main guitars are a Custom G&L Legacy, and a Cort Yorktown, going into a Tech 21 Trademark 60. Let me say first of all that I will not drop the Tech 21 for anything. I love this amp dearly, and while many have suggested that I go for a real tube amp, I can't find anything I like more than this.

So, right now, here's my amazing pedal rig:

Digitech Bad Monkey
    Boss DD20
    Matrix Chromatic Stomp Tuner

Pretty bare-bones. What effects would you suggest I consider for the sound I'm going for, with the guitars and amp I have?

Thanks!
    Nick

2. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

a second delay. and a menatone TBIAC. because the hillsong sound really is a tube screamer hitting a quarter note delay into a dotted eighth delay into a vox AC-30.

3. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Yep, a TS9 and a Vox will get you the base tone. I believe most of them use a Boss DD5 for the dotted 1/8 thing.

4. NickDanforth

NickDanforth Member

Yeah. I'm doing the same thing with the DD20, though I may try picking up a DD3 and using it for quarter notes.

5. Craig Walker

6. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

that is awesome! pretty simple stuff but GREAT command of the instrument and sounds...especially the delays. Its all about layering guitars.

7. NickDanforth

NickDanforth Member

Definitely. It makes me think I might want to get a DD7 when they are released so I can tap tempo it with the DD20. One for dotted eighths, one for quarter notes, but both will be on time.

8. Craig Walker

Someone here on TGP showed where you could use two DD-5s and a Y-cable to tap-tempo with one switch, so the 1/4s and .1/8s would be in sync. Pretty cool idea....

9. Craig Walker

The DD7 looks cool. It allows the external tap, which the DD6 didn't do.

I can't remember if the DD20 does....

10. NickDanforth

NickDanforth Member

Yeah, the DD20 allows for external tap. If I got an extra delay, I'd definitely go the Y-Cable route.

So, aside from the second delay and the TBIAC, any other recommendations?

11. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

12. NickDanforth

NickDanforth Member

I played the Liverpool at NAMM. Amazing pedal, and very versatile. Now that I think about it, it might really be a good addition to the rig.

13. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I can't wait to hear more samples & demos with the Liverpool, besides the typical NAMM videos. Sounds like you liked it, cool!

14. NickDanforth

NickDanforth Member

It really was a nice effect, and Tech 21 always prices their stuff quite reasonably. I might have to go for that.

Any other ideas?

15. ford

ford Supporting Member

I'm going to get one of these to back up my amp for live shows.... and recording..... heck maybe for playing at church sometime.

As for the Hillsong sound.... play some of their stuff sometimes, but never worry about sounding like them.... I don't use nearly as much delay, although I do use a Hayseed 30 cause I've been loving ac30's for a LONG time.

Sweetwater is showing them priced around 150 bucks to start.
    rock

bford

16. NickDanforth

NickDanforth Member

OK. It definitely looks like two things are in order right from the start:

Another OD/Boost
    A second delay

After that I'm not quite sure.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the trademark has its own "vox" like settings. pretty sure its in the manual. i'd definitely start from there, since the hillsong gents definitely favor that matchless / vox sound for their amps.

18. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I'm copping it pretty good with a new TBIAC and an Echolution delay with the multitaps.

19. NickDanforth

NickDanforth Member

I don't see any settings in the manual, but I'm sure I could play around with it and get a good Vox tone.

20. NickDanforth

NickDanforth Member

I remember that Michael Guy uses a Zvex SHO. Do you think that'd be a good OD/Boost or base OD?