Finding the Ohm rating on Celestion speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tlee1183, Dec 26, 2009.

1. tlee1183

tlee1183 Member

Hi all, I was wondering if it was possible to identify the ohm rating on the speaker itself. Like any place where's it would be labeled. I'm running a Celestion Alinco Blue that I bought used into a Vox AC 15cc. When I bought it I was told it was 16ohms but I know Celestion sells it 15ohms and 8ohms according to their website. I want to make sure what the exact impedence of the speaker is so I can set my amp properly. Thanks in advance!

2. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Its probably 15 ohms. measure the resistance of the speaker tabs without being connected to the amp. If it measures a little under 8 ohms (~5 to 7 ohms) then its an 8 ohm speaker. If it measures a little under 15 ohms (~11 to 14 ohm s) then its 15 ohms.

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

They usually have a big long alphanumeric code on the frame. Part of it will be something like T1234. That's the Txxxx code which tells what the speaker is, and it's ohm rating. You can send that to drdecibel@celestion.com and have him tell you what your ohm rating is, too, if you don't have a multimeter to check.

4. tlee1183

tlee1183 Member

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll try the code before the multimeter suggestion, since I've already soldered the wires on the tabs.