Finding the V30 in my new amp too bright - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by wrxplayer, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:16 PM.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I got a Bogner Duende recently. Should be perfect but I'm finding it a bit bright. It has the stock V30. Listening to V30 clips on you tube, it does seem brighter than pretty much anything.

What speakers would you look to first to warm up the sound without totally defeating the amp's
    "presence." This is a 15 watt amp but I think I'm looking for a rating of 30 watts or more as I don't want to diminish the amp's limited clean headroom too much.

One speaker I think might do it is the newish Tone Tubby Blue Chicago, but I like buying speakers used and there's no used marketplace for these yet.

Thanks in advance.

2. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Give the speaker time to work in. I bought a new Recto 2x12 w/V30s and it improved dramatically over a few months of loud gigs and practices. Brand new speakers do not immediately sound their best.

3. wrxplayer

Thanks, but it's broken in. Likely about 10 years old.

Frankly I'm finding lots of sound coming out of amps too bright lately. Think it's part of the again process for me (nearing 60).

4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Ah, I’d maybe try a Creamback, then?

5. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

6. GT100

GT100 Member

Was the amp used much before you got it? Especially at gig volumes?
    V30's take a good while at loud volume to sound drastically better.

Lloyd

7. wrxplayer

I have a Creamback in a 1x12 speaker cab I don't use much. Went to pull the V30, took the screws out, got the wires off, and the damn thing remained attached to the combo cab as if it were also glued on. Never encountered that before. I pulled pretty hard and it didn't budge.