Finding Your Tone ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scott757, Sep 27, 2008.

1. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

I was going to respond to the other thread with this, but I want to be respectful and not hi-jack it. Do you have a tone? I feel like I don't have a tone that I'm searching for. But I play things, and if I like it then it gets incorporated. Also, does your tone change depending on the music? What I am playing now, would not be ok if I were playing heavier music. What are you thoughts?

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I think people should have options in their tones, but that their own signature should also stay with them. Tone should change depending on the style of music, but it should also be your own. Billy Gibbons will still sound like Billy Gibbons even if he is playing reggae.

3. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

I know that when and where I play, I take my tone with me. Not necessarily my stuff, gear, amps, etc. but, my tone. I feel that when I am truly playing and flowing that my tone comes through no matter what song and venue or gear. Now, I do feel more comfortable on my guitar but, I try to let me sound follow me. Actually, there is another guitar player who is a bit younger than me in my band. I gave him some lessons to start but since he has picked it up rather well. However, when we play, he still has a hard time letting go and playing through the music not just playing the music. I really think that is where my tone is, in my playing, not my gear. The emphasis on the importance of truly playing.

4. barryoneal

barryoneal Member

I agree with the above comments. You have something in your head, you will invariably try to get whatever gear your playing to align with that notion.

-barry.

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I (finally) found mine and it's spelled T-W-E-E-D. Whether it's dead clean or slightly furry or slammed with a pedal, it's gotta be tweed.
    Problem is now I want to buy every tweed amp on the emporium. The good thing is my wife likes the way they look....even in the living room! Thanks ML :banana

6. Metalheart

Metalheart Member

I heard this buddy of mine play and he had some killer clips. And I always said to myself "if I could just get that sound I would be happy!" but this guy keeps looking for that perfect tone,amp,guitar and pups etc..

I guess I do it too in some ways cause if I we did'nt we might stop playing ;)

7. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Yes I do have a tone, Scotty. Some might call it pretty, sweet and compressed, but it's like it was tailored to fit me personally - I get inspired by playing when hearing this tone. I know what to expect of it and it kind of knows what to expect of me.

Do you mean you're not really searching for a tone or are you having a hard time finding one? What inspires you in your guitar playing? Finding one's tone is a bit like finding a girlfriend, though it may come easier or harder to you than that special lady.

My tone came to me as a bit of a stroke of luck or chance or what you might call it. I've never been much of a fan of Lace pickups, but then I went with the Lace-iest of them all over the Fender '57/62. Man, are these resposive, but smooth pre-amps, valve saturation and pushed speakers gives them a nice shimmer I'm quite taken by.

Yep, tone is also in your fingers and confidence has a sound to it. Sloppy fingerplacement on the finest crafted guitar in the world can infact sound worse than perfect fingerplacement on an entrylevel instrument. Fingering has all to do with the way the tone blooms. Also the intricacies in one's technique will tell the listener who is playing - but this I wouldn't exactly call 'tone' as this really is a style thing.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I must have a "tone"- Why? My son tells me I make every amp I own sound the same! Theres a certain "base" tone I like out of an amp. I end up tweaking speakers and tubes till I get there. If Im playing covers I'll adjust gain and the tone controls to get closer though. Most of my amps can go from clean to 80's metal. Bob

9. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I have a certain style but I think my style highlights the differences in amps. I always play Les Pauls. But I've changed from Fender blackface amps to a Marshall plexi and my tone is definitely not the same.

10. XKnight

XKnight Member

Gibson LP through a Fender Tweed style amp is my tone. I love Teles too, but it just feels right when I play my LP.

11. scott757

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't go out and buy my amp because it sounded like a tone I had in my head. But when I played it, it sounded great. I feel like that for most of my gear. I bought my SG because it sounded the best of the guitars that I played. I bought my Tele because I wanted a single coil, and that's the one that really grabbed me. So I guess that my tone has been shaped by finding the thing that I like the best at the time I am in the market. Not because I have something in my head that I am looking to capture. But even as I'm saying this, I'm thinking about buying a fuzz pedal, and I have a certain way that I want it to sound. So maybe I'm a hypocrite. :jo

12. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Over the years that I've been playing, I think finding the tone that you are looking for first starts in your hands and not your amp. As Adam was saying, I also believe everyone should have their own signature but that signature should not be dependent on the amp. I'm sure we've all seen the veteran player that picks up a decent SS amp with a junky guitar and make it sound better than the average bear playing a top-notch guitar and amp. IMO, I think your tone should be present regardless of circuitry, tube, or speakers. Of course, that's not saying all amps sound the same. The characters of amps definitely play a pivotal role in tone shaping but it definitely shouldn't depend on that - otherwise anyone can sound like you.

13. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Yes. It is derivative of many tones I have heard and admired...but in the end, it is mine and mine alone. It fits somewhere within the pantheon of all of those great sounds I have heard over the years. At the heart of this sound is, of course, dirt. Definitely the Marshall version of that wonderful creation. A bit of reverb to help it sing. It is just me....

Mike

14. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I'm more like you Scott. I didn't have a tone in my head, but through gear I have found tones that I like. I tend to tweak and adjust eq on different amps to home in on a common type of tone, I think, a bit like the man above who said, pretty sweet and compressed, but I like different amps for their basic intrinsic differences.
    I think style is definitely in the fingers, and that commonly gets mistaken for tone.
    My tone changes as I play different styles, so I'm not really locked into one voice. Stylistically, I'm like a kid in a lolly shop, running around grabbing handfuls of different styles and playing along, and I choose tones to either blend with the style, or to change it up.

15. tybone

tybone Member

Damn, I have 14 guitars and 9 amps. My tone changes all the freakin time based on everything from my wife's mood to the local barometric pressure. The one thing that does Not change is my feel. That is what I searched for for all these years. That is what makes me sound like me. Tone for me is like a little hot sauce, or salt or other seasoning added to what I FEEL to play given a musical conversation in progress.

16. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Tone preference is greatly influenced by those musicians that inspired us to play to start with.

To me the most important thing about tone, is does your gear allow you to play in a way that you get lost in your playing while not worrying about what you sound like?

17. scott757

Maybe this is closer to what I am trying to get at. I don't even feel like my playing has a certain tone. I listen to so much different types of music, that I don't really have a "tone" or way I play. That is really determined by the style of music. Maybe I'm just wierd.

18. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

We're all wierd. :)
    Sounds like you are mixing tone with style. To me your tone has more to do with the equipment you use to get sounds you are looking for.
    Of course, different styles may mean lots of different tones. :jo

19. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I think mine is finally pretty close to what I hear in my head. I go for AC/DC-type articulation with my rhythm tone w/a BIT more gain. For leads, I use a TS or a Fuzz depending on what I'm going for. Throw in a Vibe or a Wah for certain things and I'm there. I like to keep it simple. I think I can live with what I have now and be quite comfortable.

20. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I like the sound of an amp slightly breaking up.