Finest Tele for under $500

Which one should I get?

For this thread's purposes, PLEASE do not say 'If you want to spend a little more...' or 'Save up and get....'

Only interested in under $500. Even better if it's cheaper. 2 Single coils...pretty much the standard Tele. I'm interested in that decent clean, but okay with hotter pups. I like that Billy Squire Tele through a Marshall tone...

guitarist58

Squier by Fender Classic Vibe Tele

553698.jpg

I love mine! :phones

69 Sound

+1 on the Squier Classic Vibe - It's a great tele!!

And not just in a "It's good for the money" way.

rogwerks

$500 retail?? MSRP or MAP...

OR $500 "street"...

$500.00 Street wud be the Fender Baja Classic tele...

One cud be "had" for that price...

Gotta look though...!!!

I just got a Washburn Laredo Tele & it's incredible. These are the Grover Jackson designed custom shop models from 94-95. They seem to be really hard to find, but well worth it. Quarter-sawn unfinished neck, duncan broadcaster pickups, bone nut, etc - top quality parts, made in the USA. Cost me $420. I think thats what mexican standards go for these days

Jon C

a good used Fender California Tele IMO (basically an American Tele put together in Mexico)... made for a limited time in the late 90s.

Consensus seems to be MIM Standard.

That classic vibe seems fine, but I kind of like the 'natural' look more than the colors...for some reason.

Off to GC.

Beauhooligan

For about $450 you can find the Fender Standard Telecaster Ash. I don't have a clue as to why these are selling for less, as the ash body makes them lighter and gives them better acoustic play, which means better overall sound. Find one with a good neck and you won't be disappointed.

Beauregard

aram

mij squier SQ serial #.

from the early 80.s i miss mine so much... had to sell it when i needed dough.

TanquerayCowboy

a good used Fender California Tele IMO (basically an American Tele put together in Mexico)... made for a limited time in the late 90s.

Closer to the American Vintage series than the American Standards. I've had a Strat from that run for 11 years now. Still kicking myself for not buying the matching Tele for $400 on clearance when I had the chance.

openbar

Silver Supporting Member
For $250 used you can get the MIM standard. Even without upgrades it's a solid, good-sounding guitar.

Lennox Lewis

I rec'd an older MIM top loader tele that for some reason I love. It made me want to get a "better" tele bc I loved it so much. I'm still trying to find one that I like better. I just got back from GC tonight and played some american made ones. Not sure why I like the one I have so well, but it plays fantastic.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I saw a MIM brand new Black Out Tele for $550... three pickups and fat sounds! I'm considering buying it.

Oh yeah... one more thing. This was my 500th post!

AshlandBump

You can get a used Muddy Waters Telecaster for around $400. Ash body, great pickups, my favorite Tele neck shape/size. I prefer it greatly to the two American Standard Teles I've owned.

operanonverba

Silver Supporting Member
+1 on the Muddy Waters. Also look for a used MIM Classic series Tele in 50's or 60's variety. There is one of each on the emporium right now. Not sure if the 50's one is under $500 but the OW 60's one is. (no assoc.with the sellers). Excellent build quality on these for the $ IMO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom