• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Finest Tele for under $500

Which one should I get?

For this thread's purposes, PLEASE do not say 'If you want to spend a little more...' or 'Save up and get....'

Only interested in under $500. Even better if it's cheaper. 2 Single coils...pretty much the standard Tele. I'm interested in that decent clean, but okay with hotter pups. I like that Billy Squire Tele through a Marshall tone...

69 Sound

+1 on the Squier Classic Vibe - It's a great tele!!

And not just in a "It's good for the money" way.

rogwerks

$500 retail?? MSRP or MAP...

OR $500 "street"...

$500.00 Street wud be the Fender Baja Classic tele...

One cud be "had" for that price...

Gotta look though...!!!

I just got a Washburn Laredo Tele & it's incredible. These are the Grover Jackson designed custom shop models from 94-95. They seem to be really hard to find, but well worth it. Quarter-sawn unfinished neck, duncan broadcaster pickups, bone nut, etc - top quality parts, made in the USA. Cost me $420. I think thats what mexican standards go for these days

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
a good used Fender California Tele IMO (basically an American Tele put together in Mexico)... made for a limited time in the late 90s.

Consensus seems to be MIM Standard.

That classic vibe seems fine, but I kind of like the 'natural' look more than the colors...for some reason.

Off to GC.

Beauhooligan

For about $450 you can find the Fender Standard Telecaster Ash. I don't have a clue as to why these are selling for less, as the ash body makes them lighter and gives them better acoustic play, which means better overall sound. Find one with a good neck and you won't be disappointed.

Beauregard

aram

mij squier SQ serial #.

from the early 80.s i miss mine so much... had to sell it when i needed dough.

TanquerayCowboy

a good used Fender California Tele IMO (basically an American Tele put together in Mexico)... made for a limited time in the late 90s.
Closer to the American Vintage series than the American Standards. I've had a Strat from that run for 11 years now. Still kicking myself for not buying the matching Tele for $400 on clearance when I had the chance.

openbar

Gold Supporting Member
For $250 used you can get the MIM standard. Even without upgrades it's a solid, good-sounding guitar.

Lennox Lewis

I rec'd an older MIM top loader tele that for some reason I love. It made me want to get a "better" tele bc I loved it so much. I'm still trying to find one that I like better. I just got back from GC tonight and played some american made ones. Not sure why I like the one I have so well, but it plays fantastic.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I saw a MIM brand new Black Out Tele for $550... three pickups and fat sounds! I'm considering buying it.

Oh yeah... one more thing. This was my 500th post!

AshlandBump

You can get a used Muddy Waters Telecaster for around $400. Ash body, great pickups, my favorite Tele neck shape/size. I prefer it greatly to the two American Standard Teles I've owned.

operanonverba

Gold Supporting Member
+1 on the Muddy Waters. Also look for a used MIM Classic series Tele in 50's or 60's variety. There is one of each on the emporium right now. Not sure if the 50's one is under $500 but the OW 60's one is. (no assoc.with the sellers). Excellent build quality on these for the $ IMO.

Trending Topics