Finger Ease VS Fast Fret

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fixxxer, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Which one do you guys use and why?

Anybody compare the two?

2. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Do people really use that stuff? I made fun of our singer when he broke the fast fret out of his acoustic case one night. I told him to just wipe it down when he was done playing it.

Id sure like to know what the reason is for using it.

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

i have always been told that its not good for fretboards and it gunks up your neck. ive never really wanted to put it on any guitars of mine. i do just fine with using a silver polishing cloth to wipe down the strings/hardware/frets, then wipe the rest down with a microfiber cloth. Keeps strings new for a long time.

http://www.tiffanyjewelry.us/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=220

4. Onswah

Onswah Member

The only real advantage to using fastfret or fingerease is the reduction in string noise, but really all it does is make a mess of things.

5. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

WOW, ok so these things are bad for your guitar?

I can see if you use it every time, but don't they essentially oil up your board and clean the strings?

6. Birddog

Birddog Member

Yikes, I'm the only guy using the stuff? I "grew up" using Finger Ease, and recently switched to Fast Fret. Usually put it on before gigs, maybe once a week at home. Keeps rosewood boards looking nice, strings nice and slick (my preference) and less prone to picking up the gunk off of your hands. No excess gunk, no mess at all. Finger Ease was good too, but the overspray did make for excess grime collection around the pickup area. Fast Fret just goes where you rub it.

*shrug*

7. sixstringmonk

sixstringmonk Member

I totally swear by the stuff, and I've been using one or the other for 10 years or so. I think finger ease is better just because it's easier to deal with during gigs.

8. The Captain

The Captain Member

It's just silicone spray. It won't damage anything, but it will act as a moisture repellant and make strings last a bit longer or breathe a bit of life into them. I use it a bit in really humid weather which we get a lot of, or if someone else has handles my guitars. My hands don't rust strings, but I have a friend whose does. Strings are not the same fter he has touched them.

9. fender23

fender23 Member

I use Finger Ease because I don't play enough and its easy on my fingertips and makes the strings slippery like ice. Never noted any ill consequences to my guitars from having used it.

Pedal Dan likes this.
  10. PFCG

PFCG Member

the silicone is bad for the wood i thought? i may be mistaken, but ive always been informed to always use oils that are silicone free when maintaining your instruments bare wood parts.

11. SimonR

SimonR Member

You should read "Scar Tissue" to discover what Anthony Keidis and the rest of RHCP think of guitar players who use those products!

Cheers,
    Simon

12. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Silicone makes for a long day when refinishing or touching up a guitar finish. Otherwise it just feels like racing on ice to me.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

Been using Finger-Ease for years..no problems and I love the stuff! Makes sliding much easier :)

14. eldungo

eldungo Senior Member

I swear by Finger Ease. I clean my (SOB) strings with it daily and also use it on the back of the neck. Every day. And I use all of 2 cans a year. Hate playing without it. It's part of my pre playing ritual. Stretch hands, Finger Ease treatment, tune up. Love the slick feel.

15. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

There's always the Chet Atkins method, nose oil.

16. The Captain

The Captain Member

Why would that be ??

The only downside to silicone is that it's hard to put an oil over the top because it won't stick.
    As noted, paint re-finishers hate it because it defeats paint adhesion.

17. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Thanks for the feedback. My friend uses both on and off and I can actually feel a difference. I thought it was BS but I did. I know Metallica uses Finger ease, and my boards get dry. I am thinking of getting these to try out for the year. I doubt I'll use it daily, probably once a month or after I change strings.

I'll try to keep the gunk off... =)

18. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I use Fingerease on my maple neck teles and strats especially during the Summer in humid weather when they can get a bit sticky. A bit of the Fingerease spray and the stickiness is gone and playing is an ease!!

Been using it for years and never had it gunk up on the fingerboard.
    Ya gotta wipe down your guitars guys!!

19. bigroy

bigroy Member

ditto, fingerease (just a small shot) in hot humid weather works for me...

20. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Fast Fret for when my neck gets a bit sticky. 9 nights out of 10 I dont need it. But when I need it...I'm very grateful that its there. Plus...you buy one can of fast fret...and its good for probably years. (unless you use it daily). No mess at all...which i dont know that you can say the same about finger ease.