Finger Picking

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by beckstriad, Jan 13, 2006.

1. beckstriad

beckstriad I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife Silver Supporting Member

What do you guys think about using finger picking exclusively to play electric guitar in a blues, jazz fusion, rock style? Give me some of your experiences... I would like to be able to try to play in the style of Allan Holdsworth (yeah right!), Derek Trucks, and some other of the sax players in jazz (Charlie Parker, Wayne Shorter, John Coltrane). Is this possible with fingerpicking and mostly legato playing? I know that I asked quite a few questions...sorry about that. Any help will be appreciated!

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Yes it's possible. RichardB (Richard Bornman) who posts here plays with fingers and has amazing chops.

Also, Kevin Eubanks has amazing chops and he plays like that. Rodney Jones plays with a pick but I've heard some amazing fingerstyle stuff from him as well. Doug Wamble plays some **** you wouldn't believe with fingerpicking. Very deep jazz groove too. Brett Garsed may play fingerstyle as well.

I've tried to switch several times but never made the full leap. Frankly, I think it's the *ONLY* real way you'll ever cop piano and saxophone lines ala Herbie, McCoy, Chick, Trane, Bird, Shorter, etc.

3. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Fingerstyle? Two words: Tom Lippincott!

4. neve1073

neve1073 Member

Also check out my friend Dave Bernstein's playing; he is a great jazz player in the bebop post-bop vein. He plays with his fingers.

http://davebernsteinmusic.com/

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/reviews/r1102_108.htm

He's a wicked straight ahead blues guitarist too.

His fingerstyle technique is unlike anything I've ever seen before. I believe he alternate picks with his thumb and i (first) finger, but his thumb goes in towards his palm towards his knuckles.

5. beckstriad

I've become fascinated with legato and fingerstyle playing after hearing Derek Trucks and Allan Holdsworth respectively. These guys you have mentioned are great also!

6. jzucker

7. beckstriad

WHOA! :eek: That was incredible! Wicked Chops! Where can I get an album of that?

8. jzucker

Search the boards for RichardB. He posts here all the time.

9. rh

Not to take a thing away from RB by mentioning Tom Lippincott again, but there's something about Tom's fingerstyle chops that is uncommonly musical to me.

An old version of 'Green Dolphin Street'
    http://www.tomlippincott.com/sounds/solo/green.mp3

An old, but still beautiful tribute to Bill Evans
    http://www.tomlippincott.com/sounds/solo/trib.mp3

Newer, Bill Frisell-meets-Pat Metheny piece
    http://www.tomlippincott.com/sounds/tltr/exist.mp3

Just sharin' the love here.

10. jzucker

I agree but I thought the original topic was a technique thing. In any event, I think Richard's extremely musical too although many of his clips display his chops moreso than his melodic and harmonic chops.

11. rh

I'm completely on topic. Tom has a completely developed fingerstyle technique--single note, plus these Bill Evans voicing chops I've never heard elsewhere on guitar.

Does nice things with that 8 string, too.

12. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

+ 1!!

- jim

13. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I'm working on going 100% fingers too, and I'm finding that on fast single notes, while thumb and middle finger works best for me, I have a tendency to clip off the note as I hit the next....giving it a bit of a choked, staccato sound. You can hear this in Knopfler's playing (although he uses it as part of his style)...and even in RichardB's clips. Impressive fluency, but he clips off the tail end of the preceding note with his next attack. Hard to be legato at up tempos with this style.

Oh well.....another few decades of work and I may start to get it.

-Jim

14. neve1073

neve1073 Member

Another guy to check out if you are into fingerstyle jazz is Martin Taylor. Search for him on amazon and listen to some of his clips! Pretty phenomenal.

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Wes Montgomery, nothing more to say other than the best jazz guitarist ever and possibly one of the best guitarist period. BTW he only used his thumb to pick notes.

16. rh

17. jzucker

and another is bruce dunlap. Incredible player. plays with fingerpicks though.

18. rh

+1 !!!

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Fingerstyle and playing with your fingers as opposed to a pick can be two different things. When i hear the term fingerstyle, I think of fingers playing chords with counterpoint and alternating bass lines with multiple voices: Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Earl Klugh, Tommy Emmanuel (hybrid), classical cats. Many players also play more traditional electric and jazz lines using their fingers. Wes used only his thumb. Mark Knopfler and Derek Trucks also come to mind. There is a guy who's been playing since the 60s and switched to only fingers. Jazzy Bluesy fusion. Played with Page, Rod Stewart, Jan Hammer - Jeff, Jeff, Jeff something . . .

20. beckstriad

I just don't know, but I'm not that impressed with Jeff Beck. I mean, he's interesting and all, but that constant whammy bar finagling and wiggling and he's just on my nerves. Wired, which that and Truth are about all I have heard, sounds like someone who is trying too hard to fit into the fusion scene. It just doesn't sound like he has the jazz chops to pull it off, plus Jan Hammer gets a lot of time on that record to solo, and IMHO he blows Jeff out of the water. Thanks for all of the replies guys!