Fingernail alternatives? Alaska Pik?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aquadog, Oct 17, 2010.

1. aquadog

aquadog Member

2. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I have the same dilemma and have tried various finger picks, including those. Unfortunately, nothing gives me the control and sound of my fingers with nails. Consequently, I use my nails, but really keep after them...

You really need only a little bit of nail in combination with finger tip.

Oh, and the alaska picks, although they work pretty well, become uncomfortable for me after a little while.

3. Clyde Billt

Clyde Billt Silver Supporting Member

I also found the alaska picks uncomfortable and now use Fred Kelly Freedom picks
    The delrin material has a softer/warmer string attack but I prefer the polycarb.

On my resonator I use propick fingertones.
    Takes a while to get back into the feel of fingerpicks but I found those 2 easier than most

4. aquadog

aquadog Member

How heavy is that freedom pick? I don't like a whole lot of flex. It looks much more comfortable than the alaska pik - do you have any problems with it sliding off your finger?

Looks like dunlop has something similar, but much cheaper: http://elderly.com/also/accessories/items/PK370-L.htm
    any experience with that?

5. crawz

crawz Member

I have nails that are pretty much adequate in strength. IOW, this is not a weak point for me. But I'll break them most often in the winter when it gets dry and cold and I'm not wearing gloves. A student of mine started taking CALCIUM daily (for another reason -- just a normal amount he'd said) and he commented that he couldn't believe how this improved the thickness and strength of his nails. It's worth a try.

6. LReese

LReese Member

Zinc, too. Just be aware theres different forms of Calcium with varying levels of effectiveness.

7. Clyde Billt

Aquadog
    Not noticably heavy in any way but it takes a minute or two for me to get used to the width. I tend to play very claw-like with my fingers kinda bunched together.
    For anybody that plays properly it wouldn't be a problem.

The flex depends on how well it fits your finger. If you have the large size on medium-ish fingers then there is a fair bit of movement, but if it's tight on there is very litle, although it can be uncomfortable after a long period. I haven't had one come off. Good for frailing.

The dunlop in the photo is just a plastic fingerpick which goes over the pad of the finger as normal. Could never get used to that type.
    The freedom pick goes over the finger like a false nail would, with the opening at the pad.

8. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

I have gels put on my nails. I too have the same problem with my nails not being strong enough. It may seem a little weird at first going to a salon to have this done but it's well worth it in the end.

9. aquadog

aquadog Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Clyde Billt, I'd say I have relatively small hands, so I imagine mediums are probably best. Do you feel it would be best to buy a mixed set of sizes (ex: small/medium for the pinky, large for the thumb), or can I get away with a one size fits all situation?

10. Steve73

Steve73 Member

x2
    This is what I do as well, and it works great.

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

best finger picker I know has done his own nails for decades using super glue and toilet paper and an emory board ;)

12. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Some classical guitarists are known in a pinch to superglue a piece of ping pong ball to a broken fingernail and then shape it to suit.

13. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

[​IMG]

It's about $6 for a bottle, supposed to put it on horses' hooves to strengthen them, will make your nails good n strong too.

14. Clyde Billt

Hi AquaD,
    It might be best to get a selection.
    I use mediums on my ring finger and middle finger, and large on my index finger.
    I normally use a thumbpick but I tried one of the freedom picks on my thumb and it wasn't very comfortable.

15. aquadog

aquadog Member

devnulljp, I'd be all over that, but I'm in spain for the year and I doubt I'd be able to find it out here.

Clyde, thanks so much. I think I'm just going to go for the grand assortment here, including the alaska pik (might as well try it out). Thanks so much for your help and time.

16. Clyde Billt

Aquadog
    If you PM me an address in Spain I can send you over a couple of freedom picks to try.
    Should only take 4 or 5 days from miserable wet London to Spain

17. aquadog

aquadog Member

you are far too kind Clyde. I have a box full of winter clothes that are going to be sent my way in a week, so I just made an order with elderly and had them shipped to my home to be added in.
    Miserable and wet eh? Getting a bit colder out here in Granada, but come on over this way if you need some sunshine - nothing but blue skies and free tapas.

18. Clyde Billt

No problem.
    Eagle music
    in the north of England have been doing the freedom picks for a few months now if you decide you like the feel of them. They also do the plastic and the brass versions of the Alaska pick
    Probably be quicker on the postage.

Dude, you are one lucky plucker. Granada is a beautiful city in a fantastic part of an amazing country. And an hour or so from Sierra Nevada.

Hhhmmm.......must have a look at easyjet tonight.