Fingerpicking

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Antero, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Antero

Antero Member

Right, I'm not really a technique oriented player, to say the least. :D I've realized, however, that there is one real technique-technique that I DO need to learn, which is fingerpicking - I'm rather incompetant at it. Can anyone point me towards a good tutorial, preferably online, to get my fingerpicking up to snuff?

Thanks!

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Hi,

I can't offer a tutorial. I'm no guru, but since you've not received any hits, I thought I'd offer some tunes that I utilize in working with students:

Kansas - "Dust in the Wind". Don't laugh, there are some textbook moves here, very useful stuff.

Led Zeppelin (Joan Baez composition) - "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You". Great fingerpicking lesson from Jimmy Page here. Try to assign each finger a string to pluck.

Merle Travis - "Cannonball Rag". Merle is pretty much The Godfather of alternating bass figures for guitar. If you can round up some tab, work it with thumb and fingers, as well as with pick and fingers.

Fleetwood Mac - "Rhiannon". Again, don't laugh. Once more, try this one with both the thumb and the pick (to get the bass). Lindsey Buckingham is an unsung master of the art.

John Lennon - "Imagine". Actually, the piano arrangement lays beautifully on guitar, and I use this tune as an introduction to extracting pianistic textures from the guitar.

Paul McCartney - "Blackbird". Not much to say, it's perfect.

I also employ my arrangements of Beethoven's "Fur Elise", Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", and the traditional "Greensleeves" as fingerstyle workouts. Creating tablature in digital format is an exercise in frustration (for me), so pardon that I don't supply tab here. If any of these tunes interest you, there is likely some tablature available, via a bit of searching. Good luck!

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The best thing to do is find the 120 right hand studies for guitar. I can't remember who wrote it though, I think it's Giarnillari or something who was a famous classical/Spanish guitarist. It's a famous piece which is included in the excellent Pumping Nylon book. Perhaps someone will know the exact name I'm thinking of.

4. wooldl

wooldl Member

You might check out 'Fingerstyle" magazine. Great source for music. Check our their website too.

5. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

Practice.

Like this: decide what you want to play.

e.g. C: thumb for C (a string) then middle for C on B-String, Index for G-string, forth for E-String.

1-2-3-4: C-C-G-E all over again. do it very precise / timing!!! metronome recommended.

If you can do it for one minute without dropouts, accelerate it
    keep strictly to you pattern.

change chords and patterns as you like, but stick to the chosen!

DrDespair

6. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

I know you said you preferred online tutorials, but if you want to consider a great source, look at Mark Hanson's books (with CDs) "Comtemporary Travis Picking" and " The Art of Solo Fingerpicking". DO the Travis book first. These books are excellent for learning fingerstyle and highly recommended on the better acoustic guitar forums.

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

Mauro Giuliani

8. WhosYourPal

WhosYourPal Member

I know you were looking for onilne resources, but check out Jorma Kaukonen's instructional DVD's. I've got his Fingerpicking Guitar Method DVD and can't say enough about the quality of the video and instruction.

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

+1 on Guiliani's "120 Right Hand Studies". (Pretty sure Guiliani was Italian...)

The most harmonically monotonous yet technically useful set of right hand exercises I've ever seen...

I also really love Villa Lobos' Etude #1 as a right hand study

10. Antero

Antero Member

Thanks, gents!

11. neve1073

neve1073 Member

another vote for the giuliani studies. you should probably hire a classical guitar teacher to help you learn the right technique before your start practicing them though.

a teacher can also point you to some less boring studies by sor, giulinai carcassi etc.

aside from those arpeggio studies, giuliani wrote some AMAZING classical music based on rossini.

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

My dad once played banjo, and he told me the best way to learn finger picking is not to think about it. IE watch tv while practicing the rolls. Suddenly it WILL just come to you. This worked with my fingerpicking experience(merle travis style).

13. Heliman

Heliman Member

This is an excellent book for learning patterns, syncopation, and coordination. The lessons are also interesting and varied enough so you don't get bored. Brett Duncan demonstrates the lessons and songs on the CD.
    [​IMG]

Good stuff!!!! :BEER

Here is a link for 120 Studies for Right Hand Development by Mauro Guiliani

http://www.musicstudents.com/shop/wb/wbf1887gcx.html