Fingerstyle: Need help figuring out which fingers to use

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by etheran, Jan 13, 2018 at 1:16 AM.

1. etheran

etheran Member

So I have a small section I need to learn how to play. It's not so difficult until you get up to speed ~156bpm. I'm not so great at determining which fingers I should use, especially for speedy sections. Wonder if anybody could take my tab and give me an idea of which fingers (p i m a) to use. It's a scale run across the 3 bottom strings, not too tricky, but, I want to learn it for speed and I'm reaching out for help on this one. Everything is pretty much triplets except for the phrase ending quarter notes. TY in advance <3!

Code:
    |---------------------------0--2--0------|---0--------------------------------0---|
    |------0--1--3--1--0--1--3-----------3---|------3--1--3--1--0--1--0--------0------|
    |---2------------------------------------|---------------------------2------------|
    |----------------------------------------|----------------------------------------|
    |---0--------0--------0--------0---------|---0--------0--------0------------------|
    |----------------------------------------|------------------------------0---------|

|---------------------------0--2--0------|---0------------------------------------|
    |------0--1--3--1--0--1--3-----------3---|------1--------0--3--1------------------|
    |---2------------------------------------|---------2--0-----------2--1--2---------|
    |----------------------------------------|----------------------------------------|
    |---0--------0--------0--------0---------|---------------------0------------------|
    |----------------------------------------|---0--------0---------------------------|

|---------0--2--0-----0--2--3--5--3--2---|---3--2--0--2--0-----0--------------0---|
    |---1--3-----------3---------------------|------------------3-----3--1-----0------|
    |---0--------0--------0--------0---------|---0--------0--------0------------------|
    |----------------------------------------|------------------------------0---------|

|---------0--2--0-----0--2--3--5--3--2---|---3--------------4--5--------5---------|
    |---1--3-----------3---------------------|------5--------5--------5---------------|
    |----------------------------------------|---------5--4--------------5------------|
    |---0--------0--------0--------0---------|---------------------0------------------|
    |----------------------------------------|---0--------0---------------------------|

2. randalljazz

randalljazz Member

| iam iam iam imi | ami ami ami pim |

| iam iam iam imi | ami ami ami m |

| mim ami ami ami | ami ami ami pim |

| mim ami ami ami | this measure i would play on different strings:

--3---0------------0---4-----5-------------5---
    -----------1---0-------------------5--------

and play ami ami ami a

otherwise, you will need to double finger or slur (or use little finger). actually, you could use this rh fingering for your original line, but are likely to find the second beat awkward (there is a school somewhere in south america that teaches this "backward" fingering, index on first string middle on second and ring on third, but not at all widely adopted.)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 6:07 AM
    etheran likes this.
  3. etheran

etheran Member

cool! I tended to use a lot more i m ignoring the ring finger a ton, only when I needed to transition to the last string. Any good resources for learning / ingraining good scale technique into fingerstyle playing? I use Guilianis 120 arpeggios for arpeggio playing, but scale playing is really hard for me at this point.

4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Lots of RH scale fingering here:

etheran likes this.
  5. etheran

etheran Member

Bought! Super cheap used copy, score.

And let the retraining commence. I just attempted the above run with the fingering suggestion and it is way harder for me than I anticipated. I suppose it will be well worth it in the end result.

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

None of those fingering utilize the thumb right? So those should be added.
    My old copy listed at like $2.

7. etheran

etheran Member

I gotta say, the "reprogramming" here was really tough. It literally took me like 2 days just to get the fingers correct, but I think the effort was well worth it. I'm just now beginning to speed it up and it feels smoother than it ever did before. Thanks again for all the help and advice.