Finicky about head stock shape?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bendimax, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Bendimax

Bendimax Member

I'm very finicky about head stock shapes. I like Strat (all of them) and Tele head stocks but I can't make myself get a G&L guitar even though I want one. I like Les Paul standard head stock but not the LP Custom's.

There are certain head stock shapes I am okay with but if not, no matter how desirable the rest of the guitar is I just can't do it. I guess I like mostly classic shapes but not necessarily. I'm not exactly sure what is my criteria. I just know it when I see a guitar. I know this is irrational but what can I say?

Anyone else like me?

2. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Only bugs me when it looks like no thought was put into the shape. Like, a $3000 guitar with same headstock shape as a Walmart guitar.

I love G&L's- but I didn't like the headstock look at first. It wasn't until a stoner friend in high school jazz ensemble said "hey, I wonder where the rest of that headstock wood went. Probably keychains."

3. BallisticGuitars

BallisticGuitars Supporting Member

I don't worry about it for myself, but I do have concerns when people may not take me seriously depending on the shape of the headstock of the guitar I'm playing. I love Ibanez RG* Prestige guitars, yet I've lost count of how many times I've seen people roll their eyes when I take my RG2550 out of its case to play. Then I proceed to blow them away with some intense blues or classic rock tones.

When I'm playing, I'm not looking at the headstock. Neither should the audience.

4. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I've got a GREAT 1985 S-500 and I absolutely love its giant, matching headstock. I think the modern G&L headstocks are pretty cool too.

[​IMG]

5. QQQ

QQQ Member

The only ones I cannot stand are the hockey stick looking headstocks on Explorers, pointy Jackson headstocks, and Dean dual pointy headstocks. I might be weird though because I love Tyler headstocks.

6. Bendimax

Bendimax Member

Actually I don't mind Explorer or Flying V's. I don't like weird curves: Tele headstock is as far as I'd go with that type of headstock; G&L new ones look very funky to me. Jackson head stocks are boring. Deans are kinda over the top. A friend had one so I'm used to seeing it but I would really have to think about it and must be an awesome deal to over look that headstock.

I think it's about the balance and sorta perfection you feel from your guitar as a starting point for your music. If I'm holding a guitar that I perceive as odd or weird, it just won't feel right. If the headstock feels odd a guitar just won't be balanced, ie, as far as I'm concerned. BTW, I'm not intending to diss anyone's axe, here. I'm just expressing my personal preference. I love the Strat headstock and I think it is an achievement in design as a perfection. I get satisfaction from just looking at it let alone play one.

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While I do like the aesthetics of some headstocks over some others, the headstock shape wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if a guitar had that special tone & feel. The only time I'd bring things like headstock shape or color into my buying decision process would be if I deemed all else to be equal. I ain't pretty enough to be a poseur...so gimme a guitar with tone & feel and I'll deal with the rest ;).

8. Bendimax

Bendimax Member

Oh no, let's not go there. It ain't about being a poseur. It's about how your guitar feels to you. Visual shape, I believe, is definitely a part of being one with your axe... but it probably has something to do with your personality.

9. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Can't stand the sight of an Epiphone headstock on a Les Paul or those enormous Strat headstocks from the 70s.

10. Bendimax

Bendimax Member

The ones Hendrix played?

11. beckerman

beckerman Member

I know it's shallow, but if I don't like the headstock or feel it doesn't compliment the guitar or detracts in any way then I won't buy the guitar; perod. The same can be said about the body, finish and any other cosmetic detail of the insturment though.

If I don't like the way it looks, I am not going to buy it.

12. SteveV60

SteveV60 Member

...and I love your amp stand.

13. Bendimax

Bendimax Member

Somethings, such as finish or color, can be changed but headstock isn't so easy to change.

14. JPF

JPF Member

After getting used to Gumby headstocks, I'm more open about non-traditional/classical designs...

[​IMG]

15. SteveV60

SteveV60 Member

....so if one of Prince's "erotic" shaped guitars had tone and feel, some of us would go with it? I have in mind (but too embarrassed to put in my photobucket) a white (or lavendar)guitar prince plays with this extra long scrolling top horn and a pointy bottom horn.

16. Bendimax

Bendimax Member

Actually that doesn't look all that strange for some reason... I think it has to do with the design: balance, etc.

Can we see the rest of your guitar?

17. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

It is definitely and completely irrational. But I am the same way, an ugly headstock will ruin a guitar for me no matter how much I like it or how well it plays.

That being said, I DO love this one:

[​IMG]

18. mbargav

mbargav Member

I'm only finicky if the "wrong" headstock is on a recognizable body. If the body is clearly a Tele or Strat or whatever, then I want the correct headstock. For original designs though, I'm completely open to different headstocks. I've always thought Koll and Soloway guitars have perfect looking headstocks.

I'm 50-50 on Heritage headstocks. I think the ES-style models look terrific, but can't stand the LP-style models.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  19. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Is not the standard the exact same shape as a LP Custom? The only difference is the binding and inlay. Exact same shape, I believe.

In my several years here, I have made my feelings about Heratige headstocks and Epiphone-headstock-on-non Epiphone models well known, so no need to beat that any further.

Unless you are Bo Diddley or blind, I cannot understand how one could not be at least somewhat concerned with the aesthetics of the electric. guitar.

20. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Its definitely original.