finish crack question

truecam123

I have a 1990 Guild d-30 that I was considering selling. The guitar has cracks in the finish that look a lot like the ones in this picture. They are on the front and back. What kind of reduction in value do these cracks cause?

RustyAxe

I wouldn't discount it at all ... let someone play it, and let 'em chisel you down a few a bucks. In truly vintage guitars finish crazing doesn't reduce value by much, and if your guitar sounds like what a buyer is wanting, it shouldn't reduce your value by a whole lot.

truecam123

I wouldn't discount it at all ... let someone play it, and let 'em chisel you down a few a bucks. In truly vintage guitars finish crazing doesn't reduce value by much, and if your guitar sounds like what a buyer is wanting, it shouldn't reduce your value by a whole lot.
Well that's good know. Thanks for the reply.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
It's called finish checking. Normal for a vintage guitar. For a 1990 model, not so much. I would expect a mild reduction in value, but not too much.

335guy

It's called finish checking. Normal for a vintage guitar. For a 1990 model, not so much. I would expect a mild reduction in value, but not too much.
That's my take as well. The lacquers used many years ago were not as flexible as modern lacquers. Finish checking on a newer guitar says to me at one point, the guitar was subjected to temperature extremes.

RustyAxe

Nitrocellulose lacquer is still used on high end guitars ... and a single incident of going from a cold car to a warm house can cause severe crazing. Has nothing to do with age. It's NOT a sign of abuse or neglect, just misfortune or ignorance, whether it happened 50 years ago or just last week.

truecam123

Back in about 93 I was moving out to CA from CO during the winter. I put it in a uhaul and when I got out to CA it had the finish checks or cracks or whatever the proper term is.

Trending Topics