Finish curing question...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pickaguitar, Mar 4, 2008.

1. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

What's the least amout of time a finish could be cured before it will check?

2. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Member

If you mean nitro you talking probably a year or more before it shrinks enough to start checking. Unless you want to try artifically checking it.

3. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Yes...nitro.
    Thank you very much!

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

All nitro's are not equal, some have more plastisizer (spelling?) so will be more resistant to cracking.

5. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

cook the finish to harden it. Buddy with an auto body shop is the way to go.

6. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

Based on watching a buddy of mine "cook" his guitars--not a good idea...the finish blistered and he was just using low heat...he had it on some kind of rigged stand underneath heat lamps...

Having said that, I built a guitar not too long ago (less than 6 months ago) and used VERY high quality nitro that a cabinet maker friend of mine had and it's already checked...the guitar is less than 6 months old, after a gig one night I was too tired to unload my gear so I left the guitar and amps in the truck, the next morning when I brought the guitar in I removed it from the case and she checked...We had an exceptionally cold night that night though, around 12 degrees or so--part of the reason I didn't want to bring the gear in! Interesting thing though--this nitro is already starting to amber a bit and you can see a "tan line" already when you remove the pickguard...must just be the kind of nitro I was given...I'll try to find out what it was, I used his spray setup and all for it...

Ng

7. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

Nick, do you have any idea what the brand is? I've used a lot of Reranch, Deft and Watco nitro and haven't had anything check in years - one guitar I even left out in a freezing car overnight and then brought into the boiler room. Curt Novak turned me on to a brand called Trinity, which now that I have a decent spray rig, I will try a gallon of.

8. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

I do not know what the brand is, the cabinet maker is named Dan, he claims that he's had "problems" with Watco checking VERY quickly...but apparently they make different mixes based on whether they're selling it in the aerosol versus in a "bulk" container...I will see if I can get him to look back and see what he was using when I sprayed this guitar--he's using Behlens right now and I'm pretty sure that is not what he was using at the time...I know that wasn't what he called it at the time...just can't remember the name.

Ng

9. rjhalsey

rjhalsey Member

Mike, where did you buy it?

10. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I've done it twice and never had any bubbling....but like i said, I had a friend do it in his paint booth with proper (regulated) heaters - Not heat lamps.

11. scottish

scottish Member

not sure i followed exactly what you were asking since i didnt read all the answers....but if you just sprayed a nitro finish then you should let it cure for about 30-45 days in ~75 deg F height before doing the final buffing out.