Finish this: If you like the MCP 2nd degree black belt pickup, you would like...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarded_1, Feb 9, 2015.

1. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

So I have a Motor City 2nd Degree Black Belt in the bridge of both my R7 and my Hamer Monaco Elite. And to Motor City's credit, this pickup has raised the bar quite high. By the way - I have the Motor City T-Wreck in the neck position on both guitars, and it's an unbelievable neck pickup, but I digress.

I have a 1990 Les Paul Custom, and I would like to take out the SD pickups and put in a set that I think will shine as much as the MC pickups. Right now, I'm more focused on what to get for the bridge, as that's where I spend 90% of my time. It would be totally redundant for me to get another 2nd Degree Black Belt. This LP Custom has a faster neck, and seems to want to rock a little bit harder.

I'm thinking that I want a pickup that's a little hotter, but not too hot. I don't want to lose definition, but I wouldn't mind pushing my vintage Marshall style amps just a little harder. I don't get super heavy - but would like to be able to get into Alice in Chains or John Sykes territory, while still getting a decent clean sound.

I guess that Wolfetone, Bare Knuckles, and WCR come to mind. Anything else? I don't particularly like "snarl", upper mids, grit or sizzle. I like pickups to be thick, meaty and punchy with a very clear and defined top end. Ring a bell for anyone?