1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Finished Allparts SMO-FAT neck pics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HHB, Jul 2, 2006.

1. HHB

HHB Member

I posted about this neck in another thread. I had purchased and finished another Allparts neck that turned out to be backbowed. I was fairly anoyed at the time, Allparts took it back no problem, but the model was backordered 6 weeks, anyway, I just let time run it's course and this thing shows up, amazing figure, same killer size and fretwork. Allparts sand to around 350, I took it up to 1500 and rolled the edges a little and worked the fret ends a bit. I finished the back of neck, headstock and fretboard w/ Tru-oil and the beeswax and put Nitro on the peghead face for a more vintage look w/ the decal. Truss rod adjusted perfectly w/ 10's, I'm super happy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Cool figure! What's it going on?

3. HHB

HHB Member

it's on a MIJ 62 reissue alder body for a faux 57 reissue, in black of course. Using a new Wilkie vintage trem, Allparts Kluson style and GFS pickups, sounds great but I may spring for something fancy pickup wise ( cause I just have to spend money LOL )

4. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Sounds like it'll be a cool fiddle. Especially if you spend those extra dollars! Thta's the key, isn't it?;)

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Nice work...looks sweet, and I'm not a maple board guy. :AOK
    Greg

6. HHB

HHB Member

thanks guys! this is the first maple neck I've played in quite a while, punchy and very very "stratty" I was shooting for something in the Robbie Blunt range ( first Robert Plant solo CD's ) and this thing into my old Deluxe Reverb is very close

7. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

What's the fretsize and board radius?

8. HHB

HHB Member

frets are a nice med jumbo, larger than the Fender reissues, about what you find on a current American Standards, radius is 9.5, great for bends w/ lowish action

9. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I just noticed the finish on the fretboard. How does the satin finish compare to rosewood? I've never been able to find a finished fretboard I could bond with.

10. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

HHB...have you had alot of problems w/ allparts necks? ive bought a few w/ no problems...

11. HHB

HHB Member

well, I used the same stuff tha Music Man uses, it's a very natural feeling finish and I only used 2 coats on the fretboard. I'm not bothered by it at all, a very thin on the fretboard and I'm hoping it'll dirty up quickly, I know that stores have trouble keeping the MusicMans clean, my body is a used mid 80's and was gigged heavily so I'm wanting the neck to match ( relic bashers bedamned! ). I removed about half the poly clearcoat from the body and that helped the look a lot, I can't get a decent pic of the body at all, I continue to try. This was my first experience w/ Allparts so while the defective first neck was a hassell (I lost a decal plus finish labor to that one) and the 5 week backorder salt in the wound the guy at Allparts said he would ship us a nice one when they came in and this one has made me a happy camper! provided it's stable and it sure seems to be, I've got a strat that feels like CS Fender's I've tried at a fraction of the cost ( like 10% of the price ) so I give Allparts a big thumbs up on customer service and quality
    [​IMG]

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've heard that AllParts = Fender Japan. I believe it. I just got a TMNF-FAT neck for my custom Tele. It's simply incredible, especially for the price. Perfect frets, great nitro finish, 1" U-shaped back. A great deal, and it makes my Tele sound better than it ever has. Replaced a really thin neck and the increase in the body of the sound is beautiful!

13. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

this is very good news to me---i have a TMNF-FAT neck, waiting for the body from Guitarmill in Nashville (Butterscotch-nitro) and Glendale bridge/saddles, w/ Don Mare pups and Callaham control plate/electronics/neckplate/ferrules---and I can't wait!

oops---did'nt mean hijack---sorry!:eek:
    ac

14. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

zappafrank, that's going to be one killer Tele! Can't wait to hear your report on the Don Mare pickups. If they're half as good as their press, they'll be fantastic.

BTW: If you don't mind my asking, what did the Guitarmill body cost you complete with the nitro finish?

15. SFW

SFW Member

I'm working on a neck I just picked up from Allparts. I like like 10 miles from the warehouse, so I usually just swing by. I rumaged through some strat necks until I found a really nice birdseye one. The figure was really nice. So that one came home with me. I'm currently waiting on some H-S-S ash strat bodies to come in.

For my neck, I used two coats of linseed oil to seal the wood, and then finished it off with ten coats of gun oil. Feels great. This is the second neck I have purchased from them. All of their necks and bodies are quality work.