Finished building a BYOC Chorus Clone kit - sound clip

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deaj, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

Hello all,

I finished building the BYOC Chorus Clone kit last night. It sounds great and it's very flexible! I'm not quite done - I haven't painted the enclosure yet. Also - there is a very low 'thumping' sort of tick when the effect is on. I assume I did something wrong. I haven't had time to troubleshoot yet (I sent Keith an email and I'm hoping he'll have some insight as to what might be causing it).

Here's a clip of the pedal alone - no amp, just straight in to the Instrument level input on my audio interface. I'm using a Strat set to neck/middle position.

BYOC Chorus Clone

* The first sample is dry (pedal off).
    * The second, third, fourth, and fifth samples are with the pedal on, depth and rate set to aproximately 12 o'clock position and each demonstrating the four different width settings (starting with the widest.
    * The fifth sample is with the vibrato switch engaged.

You'll hear the tick in the background. I hope to have that fixed in a couple of days if time permits.

Wadaya think?

2. trucks

trucks Member

I had trouble with your link. I believe it should be:

BYOC Chorus

I do like it! Let us know how the tick issue is resolved. I am seriously considering building this myself.

3. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

nice ..thanks for the contribution . I think you`re onto something with the harsh reality of a direct line . We all know how that sounds as opposed to a test with an amp that we may not be familiar with . I liked the top end clarity which sounded much like the dry signal BUT with the chorus tails having a warm sweet quality . Maybe the direct test is deceptive but it seems to stand out in top end with a warm effected signal at the same time ....unlike a TC i.e which is all top end (a.k.a. harsh IMO ) . I`ve been through the choralflange which got me fatigued ..the EBS red twister ...too much volume boost and mud (anyone want to buy it ?) and am now wrestling with the Arion sch-1 ...obviously a muddy pedal . I really like the faster deeper settings BUT it`s days are numbered . I was about to go Analogman ...which I tried in the store and was very happy .....could you comment on the A/B to the Analogman chorus ....thanks

4. CerpinVolta

CerpinVolta Member

Great tones, Deaj! Its deffinetly got me interested in builing one myself:dude

5. fractal

fractal Member

Thanks for the clip. I have mine ready to go together as soon as the paint dries on the box!

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

7. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

i just got my deluxe clone in the mail.

can't wait to start soldering!

How are you going to paint the box?

did you get rid of the clock ticking?

let us know!

8. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

nice chorusing effect. Sounds quite full!!! I don't know if I could build one myself though- I have no experience with kinda thing. :(

9. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Wow. Nicely done. That sounds great.

10. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

did you ever get rid of the clock tick!?