1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Finished modding my 76 JMP non-master volume. Clip inside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scottosan, Aug 16, 2005.

1. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

Before I get flamed for modding a vintage Marshall, when I bought this, the original PCB was just mangled by a previous owner and had none of the original tone caps and had incorrect values in many areas. So what I did, is I just removed the whole board and original Pots and have them in a plastic sealed bag incase I am going to put the original board back in. I put it a PTP board with my own circuit in it. I did not drill any holes or any intrusive mods to the chassis.

http://home.comcast.net/~scottosan2004/76mod.mp3

2. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

do me a favour ok.

do you have a boost pedal or simply an overdrive pedal , put it in front of that amp drive off and level 50% and over depending on how it sounds. and play me some lead tones please.

that amp sounds positively bitchin , you have a killer rhythm tone thing going on there , id imagine that sound dont yield the screaming sustain that a clean boost pushing the front end will give ...............go on , do it !!

what about a master vol mod , is there one of those or did you play that with the paint peeling off the walls ?

good job
    jimmy

3. Crazy Dave

Crazy Dave Member

Holy Smoke! Great tone man. That thing roars like a wild animal.:dude

4. scottosan

It has a master volume, the volume was at 9:00 very modest volume. I do have some pedals that i have built that I will try. I am currently messing with a switchable bright cap that definately gives it a kick in the pant's but the amp feeds back like a mofo at high volumes with the bright swtich on. I can solo for crap. I built and amp with the same circuit I put in this one and Brian H got to play it. I thought the single note stuff was awsome. Personally I thing it would sound better on the single note stuff through a vintage 30 cab. Thanks for listening.

5. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

from what i can hear in the clip , ADDING a bright cap wouldnt be something id be inclined to do. if it sounds right, dont fix it, and that amp sounds RIGHT !!

you gonna put a level boost in front of her for me ? oh aye and please use a les paul if ya got one handy.:)

jimmy

6. scottosan

Ok, I've got an 808 clone and a Paul. I'll let you know. BTW, the tone controls were at 11:00, so cranking the mids and presence up a bit definately changes the tone.

7. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Hey Scottosan, does your jmp have two vertical inputs?? I see these mid 70's jmp's that don't seem that high in demand. Wonder why?? I know it's your circuit you put in, but how about the stock circuit in these?? Thanks.

8. Randy

Randy Member

Sounds awesome! Crunchy yet clear with plenty of tight bottom end.

I too would like to hear some single note leads with a boost - perhaps one that adds some low mids if you have such an animal.

Do you do Marshall mods for others?

9. scottosan

It was 4 input non-master volume when it was stock I am just using 1 input and plugged the other 3. It has the same circuit board as the mid 73-76. 76 was a transition year. The 2 input JMP's are master volume with a 2203/2204 circuit. Mine had the 1987/1959 circuit. It is my understanding that some of the first master volumes were slightly different in the preamp section.

10. scottosan

I am always tinkering so that is a possibility. As for doing mods for others, I would really like to let some gigging folks in the area road/stress test the circuit at a practice or gig before I start doing something like that.

11. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

looking forward to hearing those boosted clips buddy.

none of that scooped mids crap , plenty of juicy mids are the order of the day :D

12. scottosan

I am reporting back with not so favorable results. I am already pushing these gainstages so hard the the boost is making almost no difference except more saturation. I used an 808 clone, so I don't actually have a clean boost handy.:(

13. scottosan

OK, here is the guts. not the neatest, but functional

[​IMG]

14. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Interesting layout!

Looks like Mallory caps and lot's of .0022's in a split cathode configuration?

Have you tried Sozo caps?

I just did a borad for a DOA '78 with .022's across the coupling caps etc and .1's in the PI section...splite cathode of course.

What are you using for a slope resistor?

have you tried a .68 presence cap with a 4.7K resistor in parallel...keeps the presence out of ice pick range..

Thanks,
    Paul

15. scottosan

I have an amp I built identicle to this one with sozo's. TO be honest, I like the Mallories better. They sound clearer to me. I know alot of folks like them, but I've AB's them extensively and at least for this circuit I like the 150's. For the slope I'm using the 56k/470pf

16. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

That amp kicks ass, play it.

17. scottosan

Thanks for listening