Finished my custom 1966 Strat (pics)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by exodus, Aug 29, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Member

So here is my custom project 1966 stratocaster. I always loved the setup on the '66 and doing it in olympic white was a no brainer.

SPECS:
    1. Warmoth sub 4 lbs alder 2-piece body.
    2. Acrylic lacquer olympic white finish. No clear coat. It should age very little and not turn yellow.
    3. All callaham hardware with the new updated tremolo arm.
    4. Fralin Woodstock '69 pickups
    5. Fender "made in Japan" '66 neck, vintage specs. I was going to have someone make a '66 neck for me, but this was just the easiest way to get a real laminate rosewood '66 style neck with all the right curves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

that is nice!, most importantly how does it sound?

could you PM me?, im thinking of building a 60's strat myself(Inca Siilver) and was going to get a Warmoth alder body. i have a Callaham bridge/trem block, Van Zandt pups, Fender replacement neck for it. id like to know how you like the Warmoth.;)

4. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

really nice, you may have sold me on the large headstock. Where did you get the neck? What do you mean by laminate the rosewood is fantastic looking.
    Rob

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Nothing cooler IMO than a big headstock Strat

6. snarkle

snarkle Member

VERY nice! I need to find one of those MIJ '66 necks for a shoreline gold project I'm working on...

7. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

check out ebaystore The Stratosphere or reliablefender. he has several in stock.

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

9. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

laminate rosewood = thin curved fretboard laminated to the neck. Slab looks like this ( | | and a laminate or "round lam" looks like this (( |

round lam = goodness

10. exodus

exodus Member

this was my second crack with warmoth. the body i found was in the "showcase" section which I thought of as returned items. Apparently this isn't always the case. The guy on the phone said they put first runs in there... and with the picture of the actual item, its just easier to sell.

Anyway, the body is really nice. Its a few ounces short of 4 lbs and has a nice tone to it. Overall, I'm very happy.

The callaham gear fit in it perfectly, along with a WD 11 hole pickguard. With the MIJ neck, the neck pocket was so tight I needed to do a little sanding to fit the two pieces together, which is still pretty tight.

Soundwise: its really nice. Its basically like a very new unplayed strat... so it feels a little stiff right now compaired to my '99 custom shop strat, which was an NOS but now looks and feels like a relic. But this was my aim with this project: to make as close to spec as possible, a 1966 stratocaster. As it wears in over time, it will become very "personal".

The tone is pretty snappy and a bit brighter than my '69 CS strat... however, this has Fralin '69 woodstock (the reverse pole pickups, ala Jimi) and the '69 has a set of Wagner SR. I'd also guess that the tone will mellow out just a bit over time. Overall I really like it... it gets me a nice growl with a fuzz pedal and never gets muddy, particularly with the low E string.

11. exodus

exodus Member

Thanks man! :BEER This was really my first go at doing my own paint and not only did I save quite a bit of cash, but I was able to get the exact color I wanted and really wasn't that hard at all.

For those interested, here is the breakdown:

My goal was to produce a mid 60's era fender paint job in Olympic white. From my research, this meant using acrylic lacquer, not nitro, and not using a clear coat. My goal was in line with Fender's at the time, to keep it white and prevent the guitar from turning yellow. (as well as saving time)

I got the oly white paint codes from an old fender color chart. I then looked up the number at www.ppgcarpaint.com. They were able to mix me 2 cans of acrylic lacquer in 12 oz spray cans. The grain filler, primer and a few other odds and ends came from ReRanch. Both companies were great to work with.

My experience was that acrylic lacquer is pretty easy to work with. It dries fast and you can get pro looking finish from the spray cans. The real key, which I learned, is all in keeping level coats. Take the time to wet sand the color down so that its even before you build up more color. When its time to buff, things will turn out great.

I'm sure a pro could point out some imperfections, but I got exactly what I wanted. Not many painters were willing to shoot without and clear topcoat and even less would entertain the idea of acrylic lacquer.

12. exodus

exodus Member

That's where I got mine. It's a very nice neck. Fender Japan really turns out some nice stuff. I don't know what kind of rosewood this is... but its stunning. Its very dark with some deep red coloring to it. Really amazing.

13. brad347

brad347 Member

way cool

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

thanks for the info, now i feel confident buying from the '' showcase ''.;)

15. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Very classy looking!

Nice job.:AOK