Finishing a maple+maple neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by aniki, Nov 4, 2005.

1. aniki

aniki Member

hi there...I just would like to wonder if I can finish a guitar neck (that I probably order from warmoth) after the frets installation

warmoth makes a poliuretano finish, I would prefer a nitro, so my question is:
    Can I finish a maple neck w/maple board after the warmoth frets installation? :confused:
    (they install frets for free that why I am asking that)

this question is to consider only for this case, 'cos a rosewood board just would need an oil finish that doesn't damage frets in anycase, right?

thanks everyone
    :)

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Yes .You can finish the neck after the frets have been installed.You simply mask the frets and cut around the tape with an Exacto knife.
    If I had to choose between a factory poly finish and a do it yourself nitro finish I would take the factory finish.
    I prefer nitro but your simply not going to get a good quality or durable finish doing it yourself unless you have the proper spray equipment.
    I know a lot of guys love the Reranch stuff but you simply cannot get a quality nitro with high solids content to atomize from a can.Therefore these finishes are thinned more than they should be.

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Well, I'd take exception to that statement.....I've had great results with Reranch.

I would not suggest masking the frets either (although you can if you want-it's about the same amount of work either way). Just scrape them off after you are done. That's the way Fender did it and it also seals the fret slot from moisture and dirt that way. Score the finish just at the base of the fret and scrape it. Better yet, do your level, crown, and dress after finishing the neck.

All Reranch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I figured a lot more people would take exception to that statement.Notice I did not say you can't get a good finish with Reranch products.You can providing you are willing to put the extra time and effort into it.It still will not hold up on a neck like a pro finish using the correct equipment will.

Your work looks great in the photos and I'm sure you spent a considerable amount of time on it.Were the guitars in the photo's your first?

5. fullerplast

:confused: Sure you did! : "I prefer nitro but your simply not going to get a good quality or durable finish doing it yourself unless you have the proper spray equipment."

:confused: Now why in the world would you say that?

Thanks; no, they weren't my first, but they could have been. I bet I spent less time on them than if I had used spray gear! :D

Funny thing about the Reranch stuff.....a buddy of mine with pro spray gear saw some of my stuff and decided to try the RR spray cans. He decided he got more consistent and better results, with less hassle (cleanup, etc.) with the cans!:D They would be silly to use for somebody who sprays every day and in quantity. For the occasional sprayer though, doing one piece at a time, they work extremely well and you can get durable pro results. In the end though, whatever works best for you is what you should use.:cool:

6. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I owned a shop building custom furniture for 14 years and sprayed about anything that can be sprayed using all types of equipment so I do have some experience in finishing.
    Out of curiosity ,a couple years ago,I tried the reranch after hearing all the good things about it and having some doubts.
    It is a good system for the amatuer to do a guitar or two himself and I'm glad it works for you.
    I won't be selling my system and buying spray cans anytime soon.

7. fullerplast

Can't say I blame you. If I sprayed furniture for 14 years, I'd probably be using spray gear too! Setup and cleanup for doing single coats for one neck sure makes it more work though.:cool:

8. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Not really.I use a Binks gravity feed touch up gun for necks.
    You put the amount of lacquer in you need and after spraying you shoot some lacquer thinner thru it and your done.
    Something I learned long ago is that amatuers can't always tell the difference between a pro and amatuer finish but professionals can.

9. aniki

aniki Member

thanks everybody for answer...I will think about it...
    :BEER

ps: I am considering rosewood board as first neck/first project (and relativ finish, easies...next absolutely maple+maple!!!)

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Let Warmoth polyurethane that baby. It's a very durable finish. And it makes the maple look good.

11. baald

baald Member

Fullerplast - what did you do to that flame maple to bring out the figuring like that? I have a neck that tommy built for me out of what he said was the best-flamed maple he had ever used for a neck, so i defintely want to maximize the figure. Yours looks eye-poppingly good

thanks
    baald

12. fullerplast

Thanks......I pop it with a light aniline dye, sand it back, do another quick dye, rub boiled linseed oil into it, and let it dry before the nitro finishing. (Be careful with the linseed oil and spontaneous combustion....read up on it if you don't know already).

13. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

Eh, to hell with it all and just gun-oil the sonofabitch. Needs a retouch periodically, but it's a damn cool method.