Firebird banjo tuners.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HurricaneJesus, Jun 3, 2008.

1. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

So I just picked up a Firebird I from a friend of mine. Awesome guitar. Love the sound, love the look, love the weight, it plays great but....I can't seem to wrap my head around the tuners. Bass strings are fine but the treble strings just don't seem to want to stay in there really. It's better if I use a ton of wraps but I don't really like doing that...any suggestions?

2. rog951

rog951 Member

:munch

I'll be watching this thread with great anticipation as I'm about to attempt my first string change on the Firebird V!

3. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Make sure youve got enough slack.

yeah, theyre a pain in the ass.

Just make sure you get plenty of extra string through it, make a bend in it, wrap it around, then whatever is left, snip it off.

4. mwalker.rock

mwalker.rock Member

what gauge strings are you using? i hear all the time that people can't keep their firebirds in tune. i've had mine for about 6 months now and it stays in tune just as good as every other guitar i've owned. i play .11's. maybe that's the ticket?

5. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I use 9's on all mine & no issues. If they're old, they just might be worn out & need replacing.

Tony

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

I had one a few years back - a new Custom Shop model. Never had any tuning issues at all with D'Addario 9's.

7. 8Painting

8Painting Member

I've got 9's, no problems.

8. brilliantmissta

brilliantmissta Member

i used those steingbergers on my firebird. the original tuners didnt seem to stay in tune well. the steinbergers were amazing. and so accurate!
    i would play a whole and barely have to tunr with those things:AOK

9. rog951

rog951 Member

Do you need to do any drilling to install the Steinbergers?

10. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Don't let these steinberger guys try and get you, I think some minor drilling is involved.

But seriously consider looking up ways to keep your guitar in tune without replacing the tuners so fast, i.e. nut lube, proper string stretching etc.

Mine, and TONS of others work literally, just fine.

11. rog951

rog951 Member

Thanks man. I'd only swap them as a last resort. For certain, a drill bit will not be going anywhere near my F'bird's headstock, so I'm not even beginning to consider a tuner swap until I know the answer to that one! ;) I got the guitar a couple months back and I still haven't had time to change the previous owner's grubby strings. I'm 90% + sure the tuning issues I'm having are coming from the old strings.

12. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I'm just gonna try the method 8painting suggested. Seems like it'll clear up my problem. Next step is the bridge.

13. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Mine stay in tune fine with 9's.
    [​IMG]

14. Birdy

Birdy Member

Through the hole at 45 degrees at a right angle to the nut, sharp pull towards the end of the headstock, tuck it under and pull again, keep tension on the string at the nut and wind up the excess....2 wraps max.

Haven't used one of those string winder thingys on any of my guitars for years....no slips ever. My Firebird V is the easiest guitar(for me) to restring.

15. amc

amc Member

16. amc

amc Member

Just fine is just that,,,,,just fine.

A Yugo may get you someplace just fine, but a Ferrari would be beyond just fine

If you have not yet compared them side by side (Stock banjo tuners vs. Steinberger)
    give yourself a treat and do your own taste test.

Remember, good is good but better is better

amc
    Words to live by............

17. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Stock Tuners work fine for me..In fact, I like me better then those gearless ones that I have on my anniversary Flying V. When I 1st got my Bird, the nut needed a little work. maybe thats the problem?..