Firebird pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by skeeterbuck, Oct 20, 2005.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I have a Gibson Historic reverse Firebird III. I am not too happy with the tone of the stock pickups. They have a kinda chuncky tone to them and the highs are brittle sounding. I'm looking for ideas for replacement pickups. Tone wise, I looking for something that has more of a single coil sound. The only condition is that they have nickel covers.

Awhile ago, Tone Quest did a report on Dimarzio's and recommended them. Anyone have and hands of experience with them?

I have also heard that these pickups are potted with epoxy and as such cannot be rewound.:confused:

2. Roe

Roe Member

SD antiquity II
    lollarguitars.com

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

+1....on the antiquities. That's what I was gonna say!

4. george4908

george4908 Member

I have a set of the DiMarzio minibuckers on a Tele (the regular gain ones, not the hot ones), and I love them, but it's a very different guitar than a Firebird, so it's hard to say for sure, but I'd say it's worth a try. The DiMarzios also have the plain covers without logos or pole pieces showing, so they preserve the look of the original, if that's important to you.

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Personally, I'd avoid the Antiquities, but that's just me. I don't like them.

I put a set of Seymour Duncan "plain" #1 Mini-humbuckers in my Firebird V, after trying out several other pickups (incl. other SD's). To me, they sound a LOT like the stock pickups, but just with "more" - more clarity, more balance, more ... mini-humbucking goodness.

So that's my recommendation - SD Mini-Humbuckers #1. #2s are a bit hotter, #3s are the hottest.

--chiba

6. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Thanks for the sugesstions! These will give me some good places to start.

Does anyone know if in fact the stock pickups can be rewound?

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I think *any* pickup *can* be rewound, but IMHO the cost of a rewind is close enough to the cost of a new pickup that - unless the original pickup is sentimental or something - you may as well buy new ones and start fresh. Plus, if you ever sell the guitar you have the unmolested original pickups, which is important to some collectors.

--chiba

8. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I thought that I have read somewhere that the Gibson minihumbuckers were potted with epxoy and that that makes them impossible to disassemble without destroying the pu. The reason I was asking was to find out if this was in fact true with the Historic Series guitars.

I agree Chiba, that if you have the original pu's, a future buyer may prefer the original ones. I was considering the rewind if I was unable to find a replacement pu that I liked the tone of and wanted to have them custom wound for the tone I was seeking. Also, as a plus they wound be sure to look "stock" which is important to me.

9. rooster

rooster Member

You can usually find Bill Lawrence L-560's on eBay. Plus, his new pickups fit into the "mini-bucker" route, IIRC. You might call and talk to Becky about it.

rooster.