Firebird Pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by darkbluemurder, Jan 25, 2006.

1. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Hi folks,

I am thinking about having a custom Firebird guitar made. The only issue I have is where to get the pickups - I have not seen them on the Gibson website. So far I've seen Firebird models only from Seymour Duncan and WD. I know that Lollar has Mini Humbuckers.

I would very much appreciate your help on what else is out there.

Keep on rockin'

2. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Dimarzio also makes Firebird pickups. They got a favorable review in a past issue of Tone Quest" magazine.

3. george4908

george4908 Member

I have a pair of the Dimarzio minibuckers in an alder body Tele and I really like them. They're lower gain "vintage" minibuckers of the two styles they make. Nice sting and bite, without the icepickiness, and fuller in the middle than Tele pickups. And quiet.

I also had a Hamer Eclipse 12-string with a pair of Seymour Duncan minis. I believe they were the slightly hotter versions. The guitar sounded great, but given that a 12 is such a different animal, I can't really say what they would have sounded like with 6 strings.

4. leoman57

leoman57 Guest

Those are great for the neck position of a guitar and that's all I use there. For the bridge they really fall short tone wise, too thin and the treble is over bearing. For the neck you get an almost single coil focus but with a little beef like a PAF. I use the Kent Armstrong Firebird neck pup for lack of anything better. I tried the Duncan's and found them to be a little shrill, also it seems like they want to be a PAF. I think he hears (Seymour Duncan)full sized humbuckers and tries to make everything sound that way. So they sound like nothing....neither a PAF nor a mini. I have played and owned guitars with 60's mini's as in Firebirds and Les Paul Deluxes. Nothing on the market sounds like them, the firebird had a little more output but both were a little under powered. Jason Lollar makes one and I'm sure it sounds great but for $150 I stick with the much cheaper Armstrong. If I had my way it would have A3 mags and be about 7K with 42 plain, nobody makes one like that. I never tried the DimArzio because I never met a Dimarzio I liked since his Super Distortion of the 70's.

5. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

6. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Thanks for all your input. Actually I found a German supplier named Dommenget who also offers Firebird PUs. So it will be between him and Lollar since I never liked anything I played from DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan.

7. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

8. ES350

ES350 Member

From the ones I've seen, they sure look like two Melody Maker bobbins under a cover (makes sense for Gibson's ideas about economy in retooling). I made a HB like this once on a handmade base and it sounded pretty close to a 60's Firebird...