Firebird pickups?

mattymel

hey. I'm wondering if people can chime in regarding their favorite Firebird pickups? I'm in the process of trying to "Neil Young-ify" a gold top Les Paul with a Bigsby and a Firebird in the bridge. I'm a Lollar fan usually, but I'm open to any other recommendations. SD makes them, not sure of anyone else's...thanks!

I had a Gibson '70s Tribute SG with Firebird-style pickups. The clean tone was bad for my soul, as it was so godly that it became my idol. I told myself I'd only sell that guitar if necessary to pay rent, and that's exactly what happened.

Occasionally you see the stock Gibson pickups from that series going used for fairly cheap.

EDIT: To be clear, the pickups from the '70s Tribute series are NOT the same as the pickups in a standard Firebird.

Last edited:

mattymel

I've played a tele with a Lollar Firebird in the neck. It was actually the only neck HB I've ever liked in a tele. Still had the spank, but fat too.

I have a Lollar overwound P90 in the bridge now, with an under wound in the neck. I'm not even for sure that I want to mess with it.

Trending Topics