Firebird Tuner Upgrades?

Alvis

Well one of my Firebird gears sh*t the bed.
I know some of you have gone over to those new Steinberger gears. Do they work well.Perhaps a little too futuristic for me
In a 1979 interview Steve Stills said that he put high quality banjo gears on his birds to eliminate tuning problems .Anyone ever go that route?

sleepingtiger

Gold Supporting Member
I've never had a problem with the stock tuners on any of the 'Birds I own or have owned, but the "Stienies"might lighten the headstock a bit...
Tony

jay42

The banjo tuners have a lower gear ratio, which is sort of going the wrong way, plus they can be longer. I saw a '76 done like that. The low E tuner smushed into the case too much for my liking.

8Painting

I've never had a problem either with mine, do the others work?

Maybe you can just find a single replacement?

My birds tuners work just fine. Even with the wussy 9's on it.

amc

The Steinberger 40 to 1 gearless tuners are a perfect replacement for
the OEM Firebird tuners.
These Steinberger tuners are the most accurate, easy to use tuners
currently in production and they actually look great on a Firebird

Buy them, install them, and be happy with your guitar in tune

Obviously this is IMHO, YMMV

jay42

The Steinberger 40 to 1 gearless tuners are a perfect replacement for the OEM Firebird tuners.
These Steinberger tuners are the most accurate, easy to use tuners
currently in production and they actually look great on a Firebird

Buy them, install them, and be happy with your guitar in tune
Is that reversible? Put another way, do you have to open the holes up or do the Steinberger tuners cause any unexpected damage?

bluehugh2

Platinum Supporting Member
I am contemplating a change in tuners on my Historic Firebird III. The main issue is that the heavy banjo tuners make the guitar really headstock heavy. Mine seems to tune OK though(another common complaint about the Gibson banjo tuners).
So the Steinberger 40:1 Gearless tuners are apparently a "fix"... and they tune well! But this means drilling an extra hole in the face of the headstock for the locator pin... not too keen on that... but maybe... if I have to. They also look very untraditional - not an advantage for me.
I located some ABM 16:1 banjo tuners that are apparently great... but they protrude a full 1-15/16" from the back of the headstock (the original Gibson tuners only protrude 1-1/2"). So I am concerned that the guitar may not fit in the case!
Both types of replacement tuners are way lighter than the Gibson banjo tuners, however.... and that's the goal.
Anyone been thru this??? Thanks in advance.

amc

If you bought your Firebird to add to a collection, keep the original Kluson banjo tuners
on. The guitar will remain severely neck-heavy and difficult to tune, but it will be original.

If you bought your Firebird to "play", put on the Steinbergers on and don't look back.

just my 2 cents, YMMV

bluehugh2

That's good advice. Although this Bird is a Historic, I am a player and I think I'll put the Steinbergers on... if I ever resell the guitar, there will be a small extra pin hole under the washers on the headstock - not exactly a devastating mod! Heck, I already have Duncan Antiquities in the guitar (big improvement by the way!).

OldSchool

I started to change a few things on my firebird........first the tuners, then this then that..........now this is what I have:

bluehugh2

Ah yes, Baker B3... my buddy Faracaster had one just like that... I've had a few Bakers and they are superb... but a Bird is still a Bird. mine has a huge round baseball bat neck...

James

Well, THAT's interesting. I've never seen a Firebird fused with a Telecaster.

Is that a Tele-bird or a Fire-caster? :jo

I started to change a few things on my firebird........first the tuners, then this then that..........now this is what I have:

Trending Topics