Fireburst vs Crunchbox vs SD Blackstar vs DragonFly

byrdman

As far as what appear to be "high gain" distortion pedals, what are the pros and cons of the Diamond Fireburst vs MI Crunchbox vs SubDecay Blackstar vs ToneFreak DragonFly?

General tone? Smooth? Crunchy?

Ability to "clean up" with guitar volume rolled back?

Ability to "tweak" tone?

Favorites?

User comments?

Thanks.

waveman

I've had the Crunch Box and have the Blackstar.

Crunch Box - nice crunch, but could use a tad more gain. Doesn't really clean up well. It really didn't stack well IMO neither..., this was with a MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe, SCOD, Vodka modded Boss SD-1. The Boss SD-1 worked the best with it. Notes seem to decay unnaturally with this pedal, which got on my nerves enough to sell it quickly after I got it.

Black Star - It really picks up where the Crunchbox leaves off and goes up from there, gain wise. Crunchy, but can get fuzzy too depending on where the two drive settings are. It also cleans up very well, and stacks very well with other pedals. Not really modern numetal gainish... this thing reminds me of Rick Emmit's tone from Triumph's Thunder Seven. Also very tweakable, where the CB is not as versitle. I really like this one :)

byrdman

Thanks Waveman!!!

Does the SubDecay Black Star have the ability to control / adjust the low end frequencies to reduce or add bottom end if needed?

waveman

Thanks Waveman!!!

Does the SubDecay Black Star have the ability to control / adjust the low end frequencies to reduce or add bottom end if needed?

Yeah with the tone control, it can get bright and thin to bassy and thick. But there isn't just a bass/low end adjustment. But I don't feel there is really a need for anymore tone control than what the pedal has to offer.

funkycam

I am amazed anyone could want more gain than a crunchbox offers.
@ 2 o clock on the gain I can get tons of feedback & that is with low output s/cs.
I use the crunchbox into a totally clean amp for heavy rock tones (when i get that call): rhythm or lead.
Haven't tried any of the others.
I use it on the solo I play here @ 1:57 & phased up in the choruses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMwRV1Q1ewQ
The rhythm tone you hear is all from the other guitar player (thx sound guy!).
It's my goto pedal for heavy rock rhythms, but sits well in other settings: I used it here for a solo in a soul band (@ 3:05),
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQjFrHjogUo
I would say it doesn't clean up that well, doesn't sound that good @ low gain settings, but is great for big dirty thick-mid tones.
Not a lot of adjustment of tone availible, but doesn't need it imo.
Bass is big but stays defined, cuts, but isn't harsh, the tone control will just let you dial the high mids/ top end to taste
Also, not a whole chunk of cash for a great tone...
hth
CAm

waveman

I am amazed anyone could want more gain than a crunchbox offers.
@ 2 o clock on the gain I can get tons of feedback & that is with low output s/cs.
Yeah, thats where it shines at 2:00, but I can think of alot situations, where I need/want more gain/eq choices.

funkycam

Yeah, thats where it shines at 2:00, but I
can think of alot situations, where I need/want more gain/eq choices.
I hear you on the eq choices & but I am ok with a 1 trick pony that does it's thing well (that's why they make big pedal boards!...:D)
I am not even in the market for another high gainer.
My pedalboard always has an OCD & I take either the crunchbox or a monte allums sd-1 depending on the gig
I guess it would be helpful to know the original poster's style(s) of music where it will be used & also the playing situation.
@ gig volume (SF twin on 4, the amp is adding a little natural tube compression, but no breakup) if I had any more gain I would need a gate to stop the feedback.
I love high gain in the right setting...:D

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
I've had the Crunch Box, Blackstar, and Fireburst.
(actually had two CBs, both v1s)
I still have the Fireburst on my board.
Killer fuzz with a ton of gain, cleans up w/volume knob (other two didn't do this) and the mid-boost switch turns it into a whole new pedal.
Has a TL072 chip in it, which I prefer to the JRC4558D.
For Zep, Sabbath, ZZ Top, Priest, AC/DC, etc. the Fireburst is the winner.

Shon Kornfeld

im getting a Dragonfly next week, ill let you know what i think of it! its still pretty new, i dont know how many people have em...

Sherman

Silver Supporting Member
FV83,

Is the TL072 stock chip in the Fireburst or did you switch it out? I had one at one point. I liked it but it was very noisy to my ear.

Sherm

I've had the Crunch Box, Blackstar, and Fireburst.
(actually had two CBs, both v1s)
I still have the Fireburst on my board.
Killer fuzz with a ton of gain, cleans up w/volume knob (other two didn't do this) and the mid-boost switch turns it into a whole new pedal.
Has a TL072 chip in it, which I prefer to the JRC4558D.
For Zep, Sabbath, ZZ Top, Priest, AC/DC, etc. the Fireburst is the winner.

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
FV83,

Is the TL072 stock chip in the Fireburst or did you switch it out? I had one at one point. I liked it but it was very noisy to my ear.

Sherm

I haven't swapped out the chip and am inclined to believe it's stock.
I got it in trade, but it's virtually new from the original owner.
I found it to be a bit too bright until I adjusted the internal trimmers, then it smoothed out and works great with my LP/Marshall setup.
I don't find it noisy at all.

tonefreak

The Dragonfly is not a heavy distortion pedal... light, so it should be taken out of contention if heavy is what you need.

Thanks for seeking it out!!

Trending Topics