Firedman Dirty Shirley Mini boosted?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bentayuk, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I'm really liking the tones off the Dirty Shirley Mini I've been hearing in clips / on videos. I honestly think it gets pretty high gain and saturated on it's own, but I've not heard it with a boost out front?

Anyone had any experience with this? How gnarly can it get?

2. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

I didn't like it with boosts in front. It excels on its own. It was shrill (albeit full, not "thin") with overdrive pedals, I found. Granted, that was the 1x10 combo.

highwaystar30 likes this.
  3. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Last night at rehearsal I was using my Timmy into the full sized DS for some palm muting hard pop punk rhythm and It was fantastic. Turned the DS into a two channel amp.

4. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Dave Friedman recommends using a Buxom Boost in the loop if you want to tighten things up as well as boost. Lots of guys in the main DS thread do that and recommend it. A TS-808 out front sounds killer for 80’s type stuff. There are really great videos of each of these options in that main DS thread.

Ryno1331 likes this.
  5. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

I’ll save you the searching

Here is a vid of the Buxom Boost although I think he’s running it out front instead of in the loop but you’ll get the idea.

Here is the ts-808

jimijimmyjeffy and Bentayuk like this.
  6. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

I set my DS40 up with low to medium gain and hit it with a TS or Timmy and it sounds great. It can get a little mushy though if you have the amp already setup with a lot of gain.

Crash-VR likes this.
  7. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

Keep in mind that the mini is different from the 40W. I found the 40w worked fine with drives but again, the mini was very limited in how well it worked with various pedals. It hated the KoT.

highwaystar30 and Crash-VR like this.
  8. pinkfuzz65

pinkfuzz65 Member

I run a centura into the front of mine. Sounds great. Tightens the lower end and gives it a bit more sustain while in the middle clipping mode with the gain astound 10 o’clock

9. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

I concur, I didn't get good results on the Mini with overdrives, although I must admit I probably didn't try every possible way.. Pink Taco on the other hand gets along with od's very well. Only clean boosts? Not sure I tried that.

10. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I miss my mini :(
    I always ran boosts and drives out front. Chain always ends with klone as clean boost which fattened it up.
    Never really used the high gain, only the lowest and medium on occasion. All sorts of gain options with a few dirt out front.

11. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Bondi Sick As sounds great through my DSM; center toggle switch position (low gain) with my strat and the Bondi at a medium gain setting. Beautiful. OR Bondi as a clean boost with either of the higher gain toggle switch positions. Great pedal/amp combination

12. John s

John s Member

That sounds Friggin' horrible . Like nails on a chalkboard.