Firehawk FX Thread

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Foss38, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Foss38

Foss38 Member

Just picked one up and will be diving in tonight. I did plug in and play for a bit and I will say, the Line6 rolled tones are much better than I expected. More to come \m/

2. leftty

leftty Member

My question will be about the Hd models. Most people who have the hd500 agree that before the deep editing was added it was hard to get rid of certain issues. I see that the Hd amps in the firehawk have the deep editing but nothing for the cabs, so how's that gonna work out.

3. moonblack

moonblack Member

Start with 0 res, 0 thump and 0 decay.
    Itll help to similar with firehawk cab.
    About comp at firehawk try with tube comp after amp.

4. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Yeah I'm curious about the A/B comparison with the HD500X... You know... call up a blank patch... add a Full Marshall/Fender/Mesa amp model... default cabs... are the tones different? in what way...

I guess my point is... did Line 6 just repackage into different hardware and UI... or is it a real re-think on the way it sounds out of the main outputs.

kennywiegman likes this.
  5. leftty

leftty Member

Maybe I did not explain myself but from what I can see on the firehawk app there is no deep editing for the cabs, so how does someone eliminate some of the issues when we can't edit the cabs.

6. moonblack

moonblack Member

Sorry.
    You might use 4band parametric eq after the comp at firehawk.

7. Mrmeatball

Mrmeatball Member

Judging on what I've heard from guys who have the Firehawk it doesn't suffer with the same problem as the hd500, as in you don't need to dial stuff out, apparently the hd amps sound full and clear out the box

8. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

If this is true then I want one.

9. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

The cabs on the Firehawk are POD Farm/XT cabs, not HD, hence no DEP controls.

10. Foss38

Foss38 Member

That was my initial impression. Right out of the gate,amps sound like ,well... the amp. No major tweaking , which I suck at !

11. leftty

leftty Member

If that is true what did they change and if they did change something why not make the same change to the amp models on the HD500x. This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts about Line 6. So now again we have to buy another piece of equipment that is not exactly equal to the HD500x, slightly above the amplifi but and here is the catch has better HD amp models then the HD500x itself :messedup

12. Mrmeatball

Mrmeatball Member

I think amp models are the same, maybe like that guy posted earlier it's the cabs that are different, I don't know, still waiting for mine but I saw a guy post that when he ran the Firehawk and his hd bean into his PA the Firehawk was noticeably better sounding when comparing presets

13. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Member

Actually, if you bought a Firehawk, you got a PODHD without the screen and without the ability to edit from the unit for $50 less. But you did get a handy dandy IOS or Android app for Free!!!!!!!

14. leftty

leftty Member

And without dual amps, the ability of placing any effect any where in the chain, using all the footswitches to turn on and off effects, no l6 link, no MIDI & no looper. Yes the Firehawk looks good and maybe I might get one, all I am asking is if they did indeed fix or change some of the amp models it would have been nice to pass those changes along to the Hd500 along with any other changes to the models.

15. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

They didn't make any changes to the HD amps. The reason there is sonic difference when using the same amp model is the cabs. The cabs are same as they are on the Amplifi (again, non-HD). Really, it's kind of more accurate to look at the Firehawk as a tricked out Amplifi rather than a scaled back HD500X.

16. mosaic

mosaic Supporting Member

Definitely does get confusing. I didn't realize the Firehawk didn't have HD cabs. In any case I think that Firehawk is a cool product that combines a lot of what people love and use from many Line 6 products. Right now you probably couldn't go wrong with the HD500x or Firehawk. I also think Line 6 is setting up for their next generation of products. I look forward to seeing where it goes.

17. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

I just received the FIREHAWK FX last Friday. I set it up for quick use as a 4CM multieffects on this last weekends gig (bold move). So I disable amp sims on two banks, actually you go to "clean amp" section and select "no amp". Then I enabled the effect loop on these patches and set them 100% wet, meaning everything goes to the amp preamp path. My take on the FIREHAWK FX - I really like the controller layout and display - easy to read and determine at a glance what is on and off. The tuner is easy to read and seems very accurate. These switches are a lot better than the original HD switches. Knobs are limited because all the deep editing is done on a tablet or phone. Note that it does not happen in real time, you change the setting on the remote app and then hit either "save" or "send to Firehawk". Still pretty quick. It works great for tweaking settings initially or during set breaks, doing it live isn't as easy as twisting the right knob and saving. The unit does a slight beep when you save that I could hear though my amp

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  18. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Firehawk FX and HD500X have completely different architectures. Some people think that if two boxes can utilize the same model components, they must also have the same advantages and limitations. Not so.

Firehawk FX isn't officially considered our flagship processor, but that doesn't mean we didn't improve upon whatever we could┬Śnor does it mean that it won't get even better in the near future.

19. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

Me and the other guitarist are thinking of getting a Firehawk, i wonder if there could be a problem with both us tweaking over bluetooth at the same time, like would my changes affect his unit and vice-versa?

20. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

The Firehawk can only be paired with one device at a time, so it shouldn't be a problem.