FirePod, Samp + UAD = clicks during playback. Please help!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by straticus, Feb 6, 2006.

1. straticus

straticus Member

I need advice about how to fine tune my DAW.

I just started using a PreSonus FirePod and the system seems very sluggish. I was using an Aardvark Q10 and it was much more responsive. I’m also hearing clicks during playback ……… something else that never happened prior to using the FP.

My system:
    PC WinXP Home 2.4
    512 memory
    Samplitude Producer 7.23
    1 UAD card
    FirePod

If I try changing the default latency setting of 10ms on the FP to anything less I get what I can only describe as “zipper” sounds. So I’ve left it set at 10ms. The buffer settings on the UAD card are set at 4 ……… Samps’ buffer is set at 4 also. The playback (or VIP) buffer settings in Samp are set at their default of 8000.

I’ve never had problems like this in the past. It was never the most responsive system but it ran smooth. Now that I’m having problems I’d like to try and fine tune it. The problem is, I don’t know where to start! There are buffers in Samp, buffers in the UAD card and latency settings for the FirePod!

Sometimes if I close the session and do a re-start the clicks go away. Also, let me say, it doesn’t this all the time but it’s doing it more and more. I haven’t noticed any pattern yet.

Any advice is welcome.

BC

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Sounds like sample collisions. If the Firepod is your A/D converter, make sure your DAW is using the Firepod as its clock source.

3. Rush_898

Rush_898 Member

Sounds like a possible memory problem, as in RAM, as in you may need more or yours could be experiencing problems. When you restart your buffers and temp memory clear and if this is a temporary fix for your problem then it's entirely possible that whatever combo or newly added thing you have now is just too much for 512 to handle. Recording is memory intensive, I'd try keeping it down to only bare necessity processes and adding some memory to see where that leaves you.

4. straticus

straticus Member

The clock has two settings, internal or SPDIF. The manual says to set it to internal unless you're using the SPDIF inputs.

Could also be a memory problem.

At any rate, I'm going to call PreSonus. I'm so used to having the Aardvark I'd forgotten I have support now!:AOK

Thanks for the help! We'll see how it goes with PreSonus support.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

:jo

Oh yeah, Firepod is firewire, not SPDIF... sorry.

6. straticus

straticus Member

No problem.

I appreciate anyone that takes the time to try and help me out ............ whether or not the info is relevant.;)

I haven't had time to call PreSonus yet. I've been too busy moving my wife's business. Maybe today.

BC

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

What you're describing is typical of a clocking problem, perhaps between your UAD card and your firewire interface?

The Aardvark is known for its clocking accuracy, they kind of specialized in digital clocks before they closed up shop.

8. straticus

straticus Member

Yep, that's one of the reasons I went with the Q10 to begin with ................ and I really liked the Aardvark. I was caught totally off guard when I heard they had gone out of business. I wonder what happened?:confused:

I read recently that one of the main heads from Aardvark is back in business making .....(drum roll)........... high end digital clocking devices.

9. Aldwyn

Aldwyn Member

Also, try using the newest drivers off the presonus website.

I just picked up a Firepod yesterday, and had all sorts of problems with clicks, noise, staggering, etc... I upgraded to the new drivers, and volla! Perfect sound.

10. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

I use logic and had something similar. Turns out I had my buffer set too high, It was using all of my RAM for the buffer and there was none left for the software to use. You need LOTS more RAM. RAM is cheap max it out.

11. straticus

straticus Member

The first thing I did after installing the FP was up-date to the latest drivers, 2.14.25. Thanks for the reply though.

UfoPilot,
    I've had a few people suggest more ram. I thought 512 would be more than enough but I'm probably going to get some more. Thanks.

I haven't called PreSonus support yet. Funny thing, it's working fine now. Comouters is fickle things aint they?:NUTS

I'm going to call them anyway. Just to make sure I'm getting all I can out of it performance wise.

12. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I dunno. I'm still running 512 ram here and i have none of the issues you describe. My biggest prob is running out of headroom on the UAD card, so i'll likely buy a 2nd before adding more ram.

13. straticus

straticus Member

Yep, same thing here. I was running a lot of UAD delays and they seem to use a lot of the cards memory. That could have been what was causing my problems because after freezing those tracks things are running smooth.

14. Aldwyn

Aldwyn Member

Just in case anyone looks at this thread who are experiencing cracks and pops with their Firepod, this came to me from Presonus:

If you are on windows service pack 2, download and install this patch, then restart.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

Few optimization settings I can suggest.

1. Right click on your FirePod/Box icon in your system tray just to the left of
    the time. Set the CPU setting to HIGH. If HIGH setting does not work, try LOW.

2. Right click on your My Computer icon and select Properties. click the
    Advanced tab, click the Settings button under Performance, click Advanced tab,
    then set to Background Services under Processor Scheduling.

3. If you have Service Pack 2 installed: Click Start menu, Control Panel,
    Windows FireWall, click the Advanced tab and 'uncheck' the 1394 Connection
    and click OK.

4. click Start menu, Control Panel, double click into Power Options and set
    the Power Scheme to Always On and set the other stuff to NEVER, click APPLY,
    then click Hibernate tab and 'uncheck' hibernate, then click APPLY and OK.

5. click Start menu, Control Panel and double click into Network Connections,
    if you have a Wireless Network Connection, right click and 'disable' this
    while you are running the FirePod/Box.

6. Within Cubase, click Devices menu, select Device Setup, and select VST
    MULTITRACK. There you have "number of disk buffers", set this to 10 and
    click APPLY. Also make sure you are set to the Presonus ASIO FirePod/Box
    drivers. You may also want to increase any related settings within other recording softwares.

7. Lastly, right click on My Computer icon, select Properties, click Hardware
    tab, click Device Manager button. In here, extend the IDE ATA/ATAPI
    Controllers, double click on the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels, click
    Advanced Settings. Here you will see Device 0 and Device 1, you'll see
    "Transfer Mode" (which is usually set to DMA if available) and you will see
    "Current Transfer Mode". Current Transfer needs to be set to UDMA(Ultra
    DMA) mode. If either Device on the Primary or Secondary Channels are set to
    PIO mode, this could be your problem. PIO mode is a older legacy and slower
    transfer mode for older HD's. If either are set to PIO mode, you can change
    this by either entering BIOS and setting the IDE Controllers to 'Auto' and
    as long as the 'Transfer Mode" is set to DMA if available, the Current
    Transfer Mode should change. If not, in the Device Manager, as long as the
    "Transfer Mode" is set to DMA if available, you can right click on the
    Primary/Secondary IDE Channel listed and 'uninstall' it. Once
    'uninstalled', reboot your computer and it will refresh.

15. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks!:)