Firewire 800 v USB 2.0

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Grant Ferstat, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hey experts.

Would firewire 800 be a superior method to running an external hard drive for audio than USB 2.0?

2. dreamryche

dreamryche Member

Yes. FW800 has a maximum throughput of 800 Mbps, whereas USB 2.0 has a maximum of 480 Mbps. On top of that, Firewire's design allows it to achieve sustained throughput much closer to the theoretical max than USB: FW400 (400 Mbps) is actually faster in sustained data transfer than USB 2.0.

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

See, I knew someone would help me out.

Thanks dreamryche.

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Here's an add-on question to this - my laptop has only USB 2.0 ports, no Firewire. Can I get good results with a Firewire recording interface such as the MOTU 8Pre by using a PCMCIA Firewire card to connect it to my laptop, or would it be a better idea to just go with a USB recording interface?

5. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Yes you can use the PCMIA to firewire card with great results. The other thing why firewire is better for external drives is that is gives a constant data stream from the drive where USB passes packets of data in chunks.

6. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

Firewire through PCMCIA would be a better choice. But much more expensive. Theoretically, I have no problem with USB 2.0 - it should work reallywell; but FW is a faster, better technology, easier on your CPU, it's that simple.

7. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

When you say much more expensive - are there other expenses aside from the cost of the card itself?

9. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

Firewire h/w is typically a little more expensive than USB, but the need for the PCMCIA card is what I was referring to.

10. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

11. dreamryche

dreamryche Member

Be careful with those cheap Firewire cards, especially if you plan on using a FW interface such as the 8pre...sometimes, audio gear doesn't play well with certain FW controllers. It's best to get a card with a Texas Instruments FW chip.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

are there any firewire 800 drives out there? Wouldn't you be better off with esata?