Firewire for laptop needs, budget around 1000 $ but could go up !

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Soulgolem, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hi all, me again !!

I was going to go for something like this :

- FMR RNC/RNP combo
    - LynxOne soundcard A/D converter

For my band's recording needs, as what I heard is that these would give me a good sound for the price.

Now the issue is that after discussion with my band, we might purchase a laptop to record on the go sometimes, so we'd need a transportable solution, and if understood right the LynxOne and laptop are no match. So I searched here and found out my best bet would be a Firewire interface, if I understood the concept right, it's a preamp/converter that works outside your PC... Do you still need a specefic soundcard with that, how do you hook it up to a PC or laptop ?

Now I don't want to go down on quality, and the items mentionned above would have cost me arount 1000 $ I guess. So what firewire interface would suit me best ? I only need two inputs, the only time we might have to record more than a track or two in stereo is recording the whole band, but then we'd simply use our mixer's outs don't actually need more than two tracks for all our needs.

Is there a firewire solution which involves only the converter and soundcard so I can still go with the FMR gear, or something similar ?

Also, if i havn't got the concept of the firewire interface, please explain it to me.

Thanks.
    Francis.

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

We just got a Presonus Firepod, which has eight mic inputs. I think it can be found for under $600, and it has been well reviewed. We're using a Mac laptop, so it was super easy to use -- literally plug-n-play.

3. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I want something similar in quality to what I had in mind, I don't want to sacrifice quality for inputs I won't need anyway.

Any suggestions ?

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Think of that firewire interface as a soundcard, only better.

If you put most of your budget towards a converter, like a Lucid or RME, you can get by with a fairly inexpensive firewire interface, like a M-Audio Audiophile or Presonus Firebox. The idea here is to use the digital input on the fw interface (thus bypassing the converters) and using a better outboard converter.

Another option and much more simple solution is an Apogee Mini-Me USB. But being USB, the sample rate is limited to 48k. Since it's Apogee, that 48k doesn't matter.

On the high end side, An Apogee Rosetta 200 with the firewire card installed will be as good as it gets.

And keep in mind there are all sorts of other options. These suggestions just scratch the surface. Consider talking to a sales person at one of the big pro audio retailers, like Sweetwater.

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Or try this combo:

RNP/RNC + RME ADI-2 + M-Audio Transit.