firewire recording interface????

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by IIIBOOMERIII, Dec 6, 2005.

1. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

I can't get your link to take me to a product.

Anyway, I use a M-Audio Firewire Solo and have had no problems with it.

3. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

If you don't need gigasampler drivers (GSIF) the yamaha i88x is one of the best deals($399) going I hear quality wise. However since I'm also a keyboardist, no giga is a deal breaker for me.

4. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

I've just done my first piece with the i88x and like it so far. (See thread http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=117046). I didn't really push its capabilities - just did two stereo condensor mike inputs coming from my preamp - but it's pretty clean.

Wasn't quite a piece of cake to set up (you really need to download and install the new drivers) but it's working now. I did have to totally strip down my Windows world to get around random dropouts when things like the wireless network card would kick in in the background. There's a whole bunch of system tuning things you need to undertake, but these are not specific to the i88x but pertain rather to recording audio in Windows. If you are Mac, of course, you probably have none of these travails.

Long story short - I recommend the i88x. BE SURE YOUR RECORDING SOFTWARE SUPPORTS ASIO DRIVERS, though. I was using Adobe Audition and it doesn't. Most of the majors do, but just be sure to check. The i88x requires ASIO.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

try the Presonus Firebox. its not too shabby. allows for 4 simultaneous recording inputs (2 XLR, 2 1/4").

and i think MF is having a terrific litte package deal throwing in amplitube and a pair of AKG closed backs.

6. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I have a Mackie 400F that should be here tomorrow or Monday. I'll be sure and post my thoughts after I spend some time with it...and making some CLIPS! :eek: :)