First Act V-Stack Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kyle Ashley, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

It's been awhile since these came up and there is very little info about them online. They appear to be for sale through the First Act website, but at a price that's a little scary for such an unknown product with an unknown reliability record. Amp and board would be around $1000 for the 75 watter. (VA881)

The feature set looks great and the quality appears OK. Anybody have any recent experience with these?

2. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

i think the fact that they sell their cheap stuff at Walmart turns most people off to their top o' the line gear.

i see ads for their guitars in the mags. they get rave reviews.

the amps don't get ads or press. wish i knew more.......keep us posted.

3. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I helped design that amp with Steve Webster from V Stack.
    It sounds great.
    Imagine 4 of Steve's Analog Modelers in 1 amp with channel switching, an Echoplex model, a DeArmond style tremolo and an adequate reverb.
    The amp has a Blackface channel, a AC channel, a Plexi channel, and a Wreck like channel, yeah... a Wreck style channel.
    The top of the line amp is the one to get if you get it at all. 75 watts, 1-12, and a Master that works really well..
    There you go! :)

4. Electric I

Electric I Member

These amps were high on the list when first announced, but as everyone knows there's just no real-world info/clips/testimonials to go by.

Shame really, since they seem to have all the right attributes.

5. redpill

redpill Member

Possibly good product rendered utterly terrifying by the First Act "managerial acumen," which appears to be below that of the guy running the nearby Taco Bell Express. The V-Stacks earned many raves before being turned into "First Act with V-stack Technology" (is there a dumber name?) pedals. And again, while the originator had built a reputation for quality, I have no sense whatsoever of how this new mothership operates in terms of manufacturing, QC, and service.

If you can find one, try it out, and like it, then by all means consider making the buy. But I'd check out warranties and the like to be safe.

6. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep my eyes open for these, but I'm always leery of spending a lot on something thats unproven and will have no brand recognition for resale. They certainly look cool and have a nice feature set and user interface.

7. Hebb

Hebb Member

8. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Yuk! Noisy on the overdrive channel, as well as loose and flabby on thew bottom end. The clean tone was lifeless. There are cheaper amps that sound better by far. Junk I say, Junk!

9. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

First-Act actually makes some decent stuff now but the brand is permanently tainted due to the Wal-mart affiliation.

CC