First Act?!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by photoguy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. photoguy

photoguy Member

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

No disrepect to anyone trying to make it but isn't the first act usually the second or third bill?

3. photoguy

photoguy Member

Yeah, I'm just a little surprised at the move...seems they've got quite a reputation for inexpensive, mass merchandised instruments, that it struck me as a little odd to see one of their custom guitars with the Firs Act name on it...even if it was only on the TRC. And with their Limited edition guitars in the $1500 range, I would have expected a spin-off to another brand name.

I had read a few NAMM reports about these guitars that were quite favorable...this is the first I've seen of them. And if nothing else, now I know where that Franz Ferdinand guitar came from!

Gary

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

One of the mags had a review on two First Act Models in the last 6 months or so I seem to recall. No awards that I recall either but that doesn't mean they're shite. It was either Musician's Hotline (I doubt it). Guitarworld, Guitar 1 or GP.

5. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

That Lola is booty. (shudders).

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

All I know is that I didn't like it when Warrior referred to their dealers as galleries or whatever. The First Act studio thing strikes me as similarly snooty. :rolleyes:

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

Spelled Marketing

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Yeah, I know but I guess I'm dismayed by the target audience for such marketing. I have nothing against beautiful guitars but I guess I'm too old school to appreciate them being marketed as art rather than as instruments.

The good news is that the whole thing is, as Scott P likes to put it, just words on a screen. :)

10. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

From what I have read and can tell from photos and such, they seem like very well made guitars. I like where they are coing from on their higer line guitars, kind of vintagey but with some modern parts. That Lola looks like it is a great mix of Les Paul and SG. Could be a real smokin guitar if they can pull that off! :)

11. cSuttle

cSuttle Member

Well, I don't know what the guitars are like, but I think this is funny

"Find out why more pros are playing first act"

and then they list two people. :D

More as in they had one last week :rolleyes:

Sorry to derail, but that cracked me up.

12. matte

matte Senior Member

First Act is staffed with incredible builders (from the Custom Shop of a 100 year old plus/extremely well respected Guitar company/corporation, as well as one of said company's/ my old Artist Reps (the head of the NY office, who was onboard forever and incredibly cool, generous and well connected) from Gibson, who was pivotal in pretty much anything good that came outa Gibson USA as well as Gibson's Custom Shop. The fact that he broke out of Gibson at all speaks volumes about FA.

From where I sit and with what I know (and can't share) they are doing all the right things as regards all things electric guitar.

13. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I have two First Act custom shop guitars. They are two of the best guitars that I have ever owned.
    My slide guitar with 3 p 90's is a weird looking one of a kind First Act piece that I like a lot.
    Rusty Andreson from McCartney's band has a semi hollow with Filtertrons that Kills.
    My Buddy Jimmy Messer from Kelly Clarkson's band has two really nice guitars.
    My bass player Carmine Rojas has a great 4 string bass.
    My friend Nick Sterling just got a double cut semi hollow that is very nice...

And yes the company also bought V Stack which was not a bad idea....

am I affiliated? Just for the record...yep...along with some of the best luthiers and Artist reps/Artists in the buisness.

14. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

For my 2 cents...

I suspect that having WalMart as an outlet gives you a pretty solid footing to branch out as long as you keep them happy.

I'd be thinking pretty hard about branching out myself when I think about the possibility of seeing the Epiphone or Squire brand in some big box discounters.

I have some doubts about having the same name for both branches of the business but if the tools are cool, I think they'll do ok and it sounds like the tools are cool.

15. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Just an observation, maybe they ought to use a different name for the custom stuff, but still under the First Act umbrella. As a former Wal Mart employee, seeing crappy import First Act guitars that were falling apart right out of the box doesn't instill a lot of confidence with me, and it seems kind of bizarre to me they would use the same name with high end stuff as the super cheap garbage.

16. photoguy

photoguy Member

I agree...though maybe their marketing research indicates something different with the brand recognition? The analogy of Volkswagon producing their $100,000 Phaeton comes to mind. It's probably an unbelievable car...but would anybody pay that amount of money for a VW?

17. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

well, nice guitars of not, i dont buy it.

seems awfully silly to me....

18. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Maybe its going to be a new trend guys.
    Just think of it:
    Hondo and Arbor guitar galleries coming your way.
    :D :D :D

Gregory

PS
    I'm sure that they are are nice guitars for a certain player, and I wish them much luck.

19. HHB

HHB Member

Chinese parent company? not for me, I'm trying to buy American where possible and boycott Chinese goods where possible ( and I understand that I may be missing out but I'm taking a personal stand )

20. JZWest

JZWest Member

Is Fisrt Act owned by a Chinese parent company?