FIRST album that actually changed you?

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
AD625136-AACE-4559-9E3C-3A8BC4E3452C.jpeg

"Us" by Peter Gabriel. I was about 10 at the time, and I listened to that record every day for months. I was just fascinated by the sound design and production. There's so much space to that record, despite there being so much going on. The record breathes. I'm still awed by that record.
Straight banger. “Blood of Eden” is magic

twotone

Probably Not Fragile by Bachman-Turner Overdrive. The two hits off the album got me more interested in hard rock music, and a year after the album was released I got my first electric guitar.

Every album changed me, and none of the good ones much more than other good ones.

Peter, Paul, & Mary
Ventures
Carpenters
Beach Boys, Tommy James & the Shondells
Cher, Maria Muldauer, Joni Mitchell, Dona Summer
Beatles, Doobie Bros
Rod Stewart, Heart, Stevie Wonder
Seals & Croft, Paul Simon, Cat Stevens, Eagles
Blondie, Kraftwerk, Devo, Lene Lovich
Sex Pistols, Ramones, Clash, X
Doors
Fripp & Eno, Velvet Underground
Talking Heads, Eurythmics, Dire Straits, Police, B-52s
Bowie, Montrose, Billy Idol
Smashing Pumpkins, Smash Mouth, INXS
Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bjork, PJ Harvey, Bauhaus
Marilyn Manson, Trent Reznor, Santana, Bauhaus,
Sun-Ra, Coltrane, Mingus, Sanders
Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Steve Allen, Ramsey Lewis
Portishead, Mia Doi Todd, Luna Lee, Lenka, Evanescence, Natalie Merchant, Fiona Apple, Sarah McLachlan
Yeah-Yeah-Yeahs, Goldfrapp, Florence & the Machine

Music has always been the soundtrack of my life, and I'm always changing.

Weekends living at the Rennaissance Faire changed me, marriage and kids, bicycle camping sabbatical up the coast meeting shamans, joining/leading movements, switching careers - these are the sort of things which changed me. Music just provided a matching sound-track for how I felt at the time.

reduced list...
Ventures/Carpenters/Beach Boys
Clash
Doors
Fripp & Eno, Velvet Underground
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Natalie Merchant

Last edited:

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
This one, right here. Before it I was a mix of hard rock and 80's new wave stuff, with a bit of college rock thrown in. Underground music was not part of my vocabulary when this album was released and I heard Smell's like teen spirit on the radio for the first time.
NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg

It also led me to a lot of other albums that changed me even further, but this was the first big one.
This

El Phaco

capa-acdc-if-you-want-blood-1992_.jpg

I was 14 when I saw this record in my father's collection. It was intriguing. Was alone at home, put it on the record deck in the living room, on the B side... and holy ****, what a shock !! Felt the hairs on my arms becoming spiky, and one second next I was jumping all over the room. I immediately knew that was MY music. This record (and almost everything AC/DC released with Bon Scott) still drives me crazy. I had to forbid myself to listen to it in my car because it always makes me speeding and becoming dangerous :dude

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
I already replied to this thread, but there was another album that definitely "changed" me....

Before this, I was content to just play guitar as accompaniment – after it, I wanted to become a "guitar player" :cool:

813nY0h0nsL._SL1500_.jpg

Gitarman

8 years old... heard Rik's solo on the title track and decided then and there that I needed to learn to play the guitar.

Triumph_rock_and_roll_machine2.jpg

porcytree

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle ( 1979 )

I was 13 when "Cars" was released and it was the first record I was ever completely blown away by. It just sounded so unusual and so different to the "pop" music scene at that time.......but it had such a catchy hook/melody plus his voice and "that synth sound" ( Polymoog Vox Humana ), I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard.

Bought the single and album a few weeks later ( the 1st single and album I ever bought ) and was a "Numanoid" from that moment on ...... still a massive fan to this day.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom