First Amp Build - Initial Guidance

Toomuchtime

Hi there

I want to build a low wattage (1W - 5W), high quality component amp, either as a combo or as separate cab/head.

What are your recommendations on the different kits available? Which are the better companies to investigate?

I haven't really decided on what style of amp, but it would need a nice clean channel, 3 band eq, maybe reverb (but not essential), and a bit of dirt on tap - nothing too heavy.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

tresspassor

How much knowledge do you have of the subject? Do you need just schematics and a layout or will you require a step-by-step guide? I ask because there are soem kits available with just the layouts, and some with complete instructions.
Allen amps, boothill amps, marsh amps, Tupedepot, Ampmaker Tube amp Doctor have detailed instructions.
Others with minimal info: Mojotone, Triode USA, Ceriatone, Hoffman Amps, Trinity Amps, Weber

You can't go wrong with a simple tweed champ style amp for your first build.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Don't know your electronics experience level...but just be careful of the lethal voltages and consider what you'll do in the event the amp doesn't work when first powered up. Troubleshooting without knowledge and proper test equipment would be frustrating and just guessing as to what's going on within the circuit. Good luck.

Last edited:

Toomuchtime

Thanks both. I would need a step by step guide, so i will check out those suggested above. my electronics level is minimal. i have assembled a strat and want to keep going with something else. i definitely will take care, thanks for the concern.

HipKitty

Gold Supporting Member
I recommend taking sometime into understanding the basics at the very least. This would include each stage and what and why the parts do. I took on an intern years ago (when my shop was in Nashville) who was very eager to learn. Unfortunately, he was too eager..he bought a kit, built it while taking a "vacation" from interning ....and failed. He just gave up. I ended up fixing his build for him with him along side as a favor and to motivate him to not give up but it was not to be. I last heard from him as he left Nashville to move back home to Illinoise.

Trending Topics