first attempt at home recording.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ghost219, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Ghost219

Ghost219 Member

2. Ghost219

Ghost219 Member

could i at least get a "you suck!"? i need some form of validation please!

3. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

lol
    Sounds great man. Like the tune a lot:phones
    The mix sounds balanced to me but i think you can rise the overall volume. A little "home made" mastering will do the trick.

Good Job:AOKRock on!

4. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

what did you use to record the tune btw?

5. Ghost219

Ghost219 Member

thanks man. i actually had to turn the master mix down b/c it was clipping quite a bit. are you talking recording software or equipment in general?

6. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

Well, everything :D give us the list!

As for the volume thing you can just use audacity and give it a overall volume boost. It's not "mastering" but at least it will sound louder without cliping.

7. Ghost219

Ghost219 Member

mmk. my guitar is a schecter 006 blackjack with duncan jb/59's>ernieball 6166 with pitchblack on tuner>OCD set to 3 on gain in LP mode>amp
    EFX loop: boss super chorus modded to TB>Line 6 tonecore tremolo> line 6 dl4> hardwire reverb. mogami's from guitar to amp. some george L's. amp is a JSX head with 5881's running into a hartke cab with cheapo celestions (the bottom of the line Celestion series. maybe rockets) mic was an sm58 put straight on the cone. i used Session with Fast Track USB that i got from best buy :) drums are loop samples. also, i used a v-pick. this might seem like a simple thing but it actually helps a lot with my tone.

8. novawind

novawind Member

Let me start out by saying I really dig everything you're doing with the drums, bass, and guitar. It really sounds like my style of music. I would love to hear the final version of the whole song whenever it's done. As a matter of fact, I like it so much, is there anyway you can PM me a tab for the guitar? I'd kind of like to try that!

My ONLY comment is that if you listen to the two guitar parts (one on the left, one on the right, in stereo) they sound the tiniest bit out of sync for some reason. Maybe try mixing it so that the left track is the "rhythm" track and the right is the "lead". Then play the rhythm track in both left and right, and perhaps pan the lead track between the left and right? Or maybe a leslie sim if you can do that?

Keep it up!

9. Ghost219

Ghost219 Member

the out of sync thing was actually intentional. i wanted the rhythm's to overlap since both guitars hit some of the same notes. i do hear what you're talking about faintly. that's probably b/c the delay on the guitars isn't perfectly in sync due to the different takes. the rhythm guitars you hear in the background sound kind of thick b/c of my lack of a bass guitar. as far as tabs, i'd love to. they won't be great though b/c of the timing of certain notes and i do a lot of sliding. not with a slide but i like slidy notes.

10. novawind

novawind Member

11. Ghost219

Ghost219 Member

PM sent. i'm about to leave for a film but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate. i lurk the forums a lot.